http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01608.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
P07-66
April 13, 2007
Media Inquiries:
Michael Herndon, 301-827-6242
Consumer Inquiries:
888-INFO-FDA

FDA Urgently Warns Consumers about Health Risks of Potentially Contaminated Olives
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is alerting consumers to possible serious health risks from eating olives that may be contaminated with a deadly bacterium, Clostridium botulinum. C. botulinum can cause botulism, a potentially fatal illness. The olives are made by Charlie Brown di Rutigliano & Figli S.r.l, of Bari, Italy and are being recalled by the manufacturer. No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this recall.

The olives should not be eaten alone or in other foods, even if they do not appear to be spoiled. Consumers should discard these products or return them to the point of purchase. If in doubt, consumers should contact the retailer and inquire whether its olives are part of the recall.

The olives are sold under the following brands: Borrelli, Bonta di Puglia, Cento, Corrado's, Dal Raccolto, Flora, Roland and Vantia, and have codes that start with the letter "G" and are followed by 3 or 4 digits. All sizes of cans, glass jars and pouches of Cerignola, Nocerella and Castelvetrano type olives are affected.

Symptoms of botulism include general weakness, dizziness, double vision, trouble with speaking or swallowing, difficulty in breathing, weakness of other muscles, abdominal distension and constipation. People experiencing these symptoms should seek immediate medical attention. Consumers may also report illnesses associated with consumption of these olives to the nearest FDA district offices.

Charlie Brown di Rutigliano & Figli S.r.l, initiated a recall of these olives on March 27, 2007. The recalled olives had been distributed to wholesalers, who have marketed them nationally to restaurants and retail stores. FDA concluded that additional warnings are needed because, to date, the company has not contacted importers with specific instructions on the recall.

In addition to re-emphasizing its warning to consumers, FDA is making the following requests:

Importers of these olives should discontinue distribution, isolate held stocks and notify customers to take similar actions to prevent the products from reaching consumers. Importers should contact their local FDA office for assistance in implementing the recall.
Food manufacturers who have repacked the olives for sale under different names or who have used them in the production of other food should contact their local FDA office.
Restaurants, delicatessens, and other food service providers should discontinue using the olives, dispose of their opened containers and contact their suppliers for instructions on what to do with unopened containers.
Consumers with questions may contact Charlie Brown Company at 011-039-080-7839073 or [email protected].

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Okay (and pardon my language). You mean I can't even eat a freakin' olive without worrying. Jeez.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
GOOD FREAKING GRIEF!?!?!

WTH is the deal with all the recalls? ??? Is nothing safe anymore?

This is really, really pissing me off!

Thanks for posting this. Wouldn't you know, I got a random craving for olives the other day and bought a jar. Not any of the brands listed, but I will be tossing them anyway. ::)

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I think this is one of those things that goes in cycles, and the media is choosing to focus on this. Ever since the Diamond recall, I check the FDA's site just for the heck of it and there are recalls every day. I'm not sure there's really been a spike at all, I think the media is just covering recalls more than they usually do.
http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I wondered about that Nick. I know sometimes they latch onto something and it's all you hear about, and it makes it seem like an epidemic when really it's just business as usual. :-\

I'm still throwing away the olives though! :D

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I got a craving for olives and bought a jar a week ago also. Not any of the brands recalled, but now I'm leery of eating them anyway. :-\

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
How would you even know if the restaurant you visited in the last couple of days served them to you already? How long before the symptoms would start. Blech. Botulism for crying out loud! :mad:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
MickeysMommy said:
How would you even know if the restaurant you visited in the last couple of days served them to you already? How long before the symptoms would start. Blech. Botulism for crying out loud! :mad:
Yikes, I never thought of that. :eek: They don't seem to say how long it would take for symptoms to come on after consumption. Anyone know?

·
Registered
638 Posts
WeHeartLabs --

This is totally off-topic and a thread hijack, but...

Your dog, in your sig picture, is, in my opinion, a GREAT looking dog -- just great. Which one of your dogs is that -- Emma or Aidan, and how old was he/she in that picture?

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts