Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the obvious possitive reason for having your pet dog/***** neutered/spayed it was always suggested to me that it may also contribute to a calmer, less boisterous male. I have seen this in some of the males i've had over the years but that may well of coincided with the fact that they were getting older and growing a little more sensible.

Can the same be said for bitches?

Jasmine is 10 months old, she had her first season in April and is due to be spayed in August.

She is far more boisterous than any lab I have ever owned, she is tireless, she would run all day and has to be limited for her own good, she is very intelligent and craves constant attention she can never just walk past one of her brothers, she has to bother them or interfere in their business.

I was kind of hoping that she may settle down a bit once she is spayed but I bet you are all gong to tell me it doesn't make any difference aren't you?

Oh well it's a good job I adore the feisty little madam isn't it~:)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
It has never "calmed" any of mine down, Kate. Not that I've actually seen, anyway.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have very little experience(having only had 3 dogs in my lifetime) but the trainer that I went to said that for performance events she prefers a dog/***** intact as they have more intensity and drive. She suggested that I may not really want/need that intensity so neutering Guthrie might make classes with him more enjoyable.

So maybe it does not necessarily calm them down so much as take the "edge" off.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It probably has more to do with the fact that she´s only 10 months old and had her first cycle. Misha was a tornado from 6 months to over 18 months. Now that she´s almost three I noticed a dramatic change in her "intensity" after her last cycle, 3 months ago.

She´s become more "soft", obedient, cuddler, and sweet. And less playful, which I miss because she was a great player :(

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
" the trainer that I went to said that for performance events she prefers a dog/***** intact as they have more intensity and drive. "

Sally is a little 'drivey' .. spaying her made no difference at all to her drive I can see ..
actually if it did make a difference I am relieved

but I'm pretty sure it didn't

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I think their 'personality' is just that, and its not related to their uterus or testicles.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Can't say for labs (as I have my first now, and she's 6 months) but I've got a super busy little Aussie and spaying her made no difference! This little girl can go all day, and then some!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I don't think it makes a difference. I think the only things that makes a difference is age, training and age.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
The only difference in Rookie that I've noticed is that has stopped licking pee spots from other dogs (drove me NUTS)...other than that...no. He's not slowed down.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
The only difference in Rookie that I've noticed is that has stopped licking pee spots from other dogs (drove me NUTS)...other than that...no. He's not slowed down.
Bwahaha! I completely forgot Jake used to do that!! He would lick and then POP-POP-POP his lips - and neutering stopped him in his tracks.

His personality remained the same, but he did stop humping male dogs as well - he saves his air humps for the ladies only now :cool:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Some dogs are just more "social" than others. :) Our little mix, Charlie, was like that. Having her spayed didn't stop her playful and inquisitive nature at all. It certainly hasn't calmed Abbey or Coco either. I agree with the comments about training and 'age' helping more than anything else.

·
Registered
717 Posts
It never calmed our Abby. She began to calm down around 5 years but even at 12, people couldn't believe she was that old. She had so much energy. Jeb, however, settled down early (he's 2.5). I think it is more genetics and personality than anything to do with neutering. It is also an old-wives tale that neutering/spaying makes them fat. That has not happened with either of our labs. We just make sure we don't overfeed.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Neutering Champ resulted in a few positive changes: he listens *slightly* better; he no longer wants to challenge every other dog he sees, he wants to play instead; and he and Buddy have stopped cleaning each other every time they pee.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
wives tale or not??

I'll let you know. I just had Gracie spay. she also is very high energy, wants attention 24/7 and even tired she manages to torment my cats. I kind of remember my old lab Casey calming about a year later....but probably just because she was getting a little older> Time will tell.. Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Having both of mine neutered likewise did nothing to slow them down. As they have aged, though, they are becoming noticeably calmer. Still, Tal is 3, and Barney is 1.5 years and given a ball and an open field, they are just as wired as ever! lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts