Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, it has been 30+ years since I owned a Lab and I have just inherited a 7 year old yellow lab after my Sister died.
We moved the dog (by air) from Chicago to Atlanta and although she is eating ok (after all she is a labrador), she won't leave the driveway, even if she is on a leash.
She will happily come round from the back, but when she sees the road - cul de sac, she stops, sits down and won't move any further. In desperation, I tried rolling dog treats down the road, so that she would follow them. It worked, but I thought that the point of exercise for dogs was to keep weight off, not add it back on.
It has only been a couple of days since she flew down, so she is still probably a little disorientated, but I am baffled as to why she doesn't want to walk in the neighbourhood.
Does anyone have any ideas how I can get her to walk with me further than the end of the driveway?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Sorry I can't help with your questions, but welcome & great to have you on the board! We'd also love to see pics of your new cutie!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I take it your sister never took her for walks? Or maybe she did when the pavement was too hot, or some other traumatic experience for her. I would say to keep trying. It might take some time, but she should eventually do it. I think. Instead of rolling it down the road, maybe keep them in your hand instead. Get her to take a step out, give a treat. Another step, another treat, etc.

Good luck with her!!

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Did she have invisible fencing?

Sorry for your loss...good luck with your lab, please stick around and post pics of your lab when you can.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I was going to ask about invisible fencing too. My pup knows that if he has his leash on, he's going for a walk, but he only walks comfortably through the fence line if I say "Leash On" as we go. That was the command I taught him to know it was okay to cross. Maybe she's waiting for her command? Dunno, but welcome!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oooo, good call about the invisible fencing!! :)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Yes, good call. I was thinking it sounded as though she were trained not to go into the street. Invisible fencing would explain it!

Could you try taking her somewhere in a car and seeing if she would walk there?

As you said, it's only been a couple of days. Bless her heart. Can you imagine how confused she must be feeling? It's not like a child - you can't explain to them what happened, why they have a new home.

Bless you for taking her, and for trying to do best by her. Give her time to settle in at your home. You two will find your own routine.

·
Registered
501 Posts
yes, like the others I was going to ask about the invisible fence of it she had been trained with a 100% reliable - do not leave the yard behavior.

I was also going to suggest that you take her some where in the car - and walk her around. If she handles that fine, then you might want to drive just down the block on your next trip, take your walk and then walk her back into the yard/driveway and see how she handles that.

Depending on her reaction you might be able to untrain this (if you want to) in a realtively short time.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
First, I'm sorry for your loss.
Second, welcome!

Onto business:
Yes, I, too, immediately thought of invisible fencing. If your Sister had it going across the driveway, it would be understandable if your pup (what's her name?) didn't want to go past the imaginary line without considerable persuasion.

I agree with Connie (AngusFangus). Put her in the car and drive to the end of the driveway then let her out and see how she reacts!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the feedback and comments, so to reply:

1. She has never encountered an invisible fence, only real ones; she also had a reputation as being a bit of a wanderer, if she found the gate open.
2. I like the idea of driving down the road and then walking back - I will try that this weekend
3. I am also going to try to take her to the local dog park to see how she responds to that

I'll try and get a picture of her and upload it as soon as I get organized.
Thanks for all the comments
IndysNewDad

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Sounds good!

Has she been to a dog park before? Socialized with other dogs? Sometimes dog parks can be overwhelming for dogs who aren't used to them. Just keep an eye on her, and maybe try to time your visit at a not-so-busy time at the park. :) You're doing so great by her!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone here for the advise. I'll keep working with her, but I can see she is still not herself.

She used to go to the dog beach in Evanston and would have a whale of a time, but wasn't too interested in other dogs. She really liked to play fetch with a human. I used to visit Evanston and take the dog to the beach, so I know that until 3 weeks ago she was fairly active.

I tried the dog park this morning and we walked around it, she was not interested in play, but just wanted to be with me and then on the way home, I did the "stop the car somewhere else and walk home" trick. She did OK. I think I'll try that one again tomorrow, so she is at least getting some exercise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts