Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this will be Toby's first night with us and he'll be around for a while. Toby hasn't really lived with cats much, so naturally he's like WTF is that?! He barked at Sylvester(kitty) a couple times, which probably scared him. Sylvester hissed back, raised fur, tail whapping away.

I told Toby to stop and lay down, which he did. Then I took Sylvester and put him in the bathroom with the door closed. The two of them were sniffing at each other through the door and that seemed okay. Then Sylvester wanted out, so I did.. Kind of the same bark/hiss thing again.

Sylvester hid and Toby tried to get him.. Told him to stop and distracted him. Worked for a while.

Sylvester ran away and Toby forgot about him. Now we're in my room.. Sylvester is sleeping on one of my arms and the dogs are on my bed. So far so good... but we'll see what happens.

Sylvester is fine with Abbey and my parents' dog, Sasha, and they even snuggle together. I think it's just that Toby doesn't know what Sylvester is and wants to sniff him, but he won't let Toby come near him. I tried to hold Sylvester while standing and let Toby sniff his foot, but Sylvester freaked out and jumped away.

Any suggestions on how to get these two acclimatized?

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Okay... so Kitty and Toby don't like each other right now..! Help/suggestion

samson said:
Just make sure that she can get out of reach ! If you shout at Toby a couple of times he'll get the message that cats in your house are out of bounds !
Yeah, he's pretty good with a stern "NO" so I'm hoping that's all it will take.. :happy:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Unfortunately sometimes the only way it works is for the cat to let know the dog he doesn´t want to be bothered, meaning a growl and a scratch. Misha learned the lesson young back when I had my cat. A minor scratch in the nose what all it took her to learn that cats should not be bothered. They even became very good friends in time, with the cat rubbing against her and she liked to lick his head.

Problem is that your cat is declawed and it´s totally defenseless now in case the dog gets aggressive.

Of course you don´t want the dog hurt either, specially eyes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts