Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First - I am going to see if I can get Abby certified to be a St. John's Therapy dog. I attended the first orientation session this weekend, and we get evaluated March 22.

Any tips from the therapy peeps out there on what we can practice so we don't fail miserably? I'm really paranoid about this. Really paranoid.

Second thing,and probably the more bigger thing.

I think Abby's got a tear or something going on in her right hind leg. We had a vet appointment scheduled for this week, but we got bumped back to Monday. She toe touches and limps, and sometimes, after activity, has a hard time getting up off the floor.

I am not sure what is going on really, and I guess won't until we get to the vets. But, any thoughts/suggestions would be most helpful.

If she needs surgery, we're doing it. I'll shop around, but we're doing it.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
how long has she been toe touching and limping? if it didn't improve after a few days crate rest...well...been there, did the surgery and here for ya, girl!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've tried the crate rest this week, so I could conclusively tell the vet that 5 days of it either did, or didn't do anything. It didn't do much. It's slightly better, but still ongoing.

My poor boogie.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Having three therapy dogs and starting to train a fourth...Go onto the Therapy Dog Internation site...they give the 10 or 12 things they test for and examples...basically, if your dog has been in an advanced obedience class, you have nothing to fear...or if you have done a CGC test, same thing with the exception of assistive devices, ie. walkers, canes, wheelchairs...they do an alarm test to see how your dog reacts, going up to a wheel chair... THANK YOU for doing this, I cannot tell you how much you and your dog make a difference in someone's life. We love doing this...there is also another part of TDI that Jo and I do, its Tail Waggin Tutors and we go to the library for the kids to read to the dogs (this is Jo's favorite time)...

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Good luck with the Therapy Certification! How cool :)

Hopefully the vet can get you some good news on that leg too - good thoughts that it's just a sprain!

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Having three therapy dogs and starting to train a fourth...Go onto the Therapy Dog Internation site...they give the 10 or 12 things they test for and examples...basically, if your dog has been in an advanced obedience class, you have nothing to fear...or if you have done a CGC test, same thing with the exception of assistive devices, ie. walkers, canes, wheelchairs...they do an alarm test to see how your dog reacts, going up to a wheel chair...
Hehe I was going to suggest looking at TDI's test, too. Here's the link to it. Heads up- it opens sideways. http://www.tdi-dog.org/images/TestingBrochure.pdf

Here's the test for another organization. The Bright and Beautiful Therapy Dogs i'm not crazy about this test, because there is a lot of bumping/physical contact with the dog. BUT- it will give you an idea of things to "study".

Every therapy eval I've seen has been an expansion of the CGC test, so that's a good place to start.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Poor Abby, I hope she's not going to need surgery. Hooray for the therapy dog thingy! I'd like to do that with Dozer when he gets older and more mature.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
for the test - try to relax - if you stress the dog will feel it and it will affect them. temperment of the dog is big for this so they generally have it or they don't (for example, one dog with us was wary/afraid of strangers so they did not pass, while another was just too crazy when another dog was near).

I went in with zero practice as they just happened to have an opening and the exam was two days later (just a fluke). If your dog likes other people (doesn,t shy away) is ok without you (you have to leave the room for abit) and isn't a spazz you should do fine.

one thing you can try to do is get her around things like wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, people speaking loudly, etc. She may already have all this but if not, this is a good time to try.

For the record - Rocky DID go for the food in the test but I was able to save and we still passed ;) Food is still an issue at times for us even now.

Hope Molly feels better soon.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I work in a rehab facility and we absolutely love having dogs come in and especially therapy dogs. I have brought in my australian shepherd/ border collie with me to work on a few occasions. She does really good but she is really "me" focused and I have a hard time getting her to pay attention to the person in the wheelchair. Good luck with that, I can honestly tell you it is appreciated!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts