Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
POP or Soda?

I just say COKE. I have heard people call it POP.....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???

I just wanted to join everyone else with these threads.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
When I met my step MIL (born and raised in Michigan) for the first time, she offered me a "pipe". Being from Texas and all, I politely declined the offer. It wasn't until after we left that John explained to me that she was actually offering me a "pop". :laugh:
Some of those MIchigan accents are very nasal-y.

I say coke or soft drink. :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
MidwestGirl said:
I don't usually drink Pop...but I do say Pop ;D
Pop it is, my Mom used to call it Pop then she moved from Pittsburgh to Harrisburgh and they say soda.....

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
theoconbrio said:
Isn't generic "coke" fairly widespread in the South? In Atlanta, it seems like a lot of people say "Coke" for all soda pops.
I grew up in the very southern tip of Indiana. And it's a generic coke there too. But once I moved to the "big city" (per my family) I've taken to calling it pop.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
theoconbrio said:
Isn't generic "coke" fairly widespread in the South? In Atlanta, it seems like a lot of people say "Coke" for all soda pops.
Yes! When I was a kid, I used to go to the skating rink every weekend. It would really bother me when I'd go to the snack stand and order
a coke and they actually gave me a coke. I meant Dr Pepper. She should have known that! :p

She must have been from the North or something. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Charla said:
theoconbrio said:
Yes! When I was a kid, I used to go to the skating rink every weekend. It would really bother me when I'd go to the snack stand and order
a coke and they actually gave me a coke. I meant Dr Pepper. She should have known that! :p

Hey look you little Texas shnot... :p How is someone supposed to know you want a Dr. Pepper when you ask for a coke?...lol

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Champs Mom said:
Charla said:
theoconbrio said:

Hey look you little Texas shnot... :p How is someone supposed to know you want a Dr. Pepper when you ask for a coke?...lol
Back then especially, if you asked for a coke, they would always ask, "What kind?"
That's just how it was done! That gal clearly did not know the correct protocol.
So I know now that she had to have been a yankee. :p

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Charla said:
Champs Mom said:
Charla said:
theoconbrio said:

Back then especially, if you asked for a coke, they would always ask, "What kind?"
That's just how it was done! That gal clearly did not know the correct protocol.
So I know now that she had to have been a yankee. :p
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....well then, she was just dumb, not necessarily a yankee...lol

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
My Grand (from Missouri) always said 'Pop', so at her house it was a 'Pop'. At my Gramma's (Mom's Mom) it was 'Cola' for the brown sodas, and 'Soda' for the rest. DH only calls it soda, and has to stifle laughs when we visit Grand and we start talking about 'Pop'. ;D

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Coke is the catchall here. If you order a coke, you'll get either Coke or Pepsi, depending on what they have. However, most people would still say they're drinking a coke if they have a Mountain Dew or something like that in front of them...but if you order a coke it's generally understood that you want either Pepsi or Coke.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Growing up it was sodie.

Moved to MA and it was tonic at quite a few places, soda sometimes. Pop was beer.

Now it's whatever everyone else is using (one of my very few conformist moments).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts