Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sally really is not one of those hyper labs. She's not a bad chewer....or counter surfer. She's not the alpha type and she is easy to train and get her to obey commands. She listens and responds quite well. All of the "problems" have really taken care of themselves as she's matured.

But she's doing something now that I can't figure out how to stop. When she senses we are going somewhere, she starts to go crazy. And by crazy, I mean jumping up on us, barking, nipping at us, really acting like a crazy dog.

Any other time, I can stop her and get her under control (like when someone comes in the door). But if I'm the one getting ready to go and I'm the only one here, I can't put on make-up, jewelry, get my keys and cell phone and stuff AND do something with her.

How do y'all handle this? Or is this, too, something that will take care of itself as she gets older. Although Annie got all excited when she saw we were going somewhere, her level of activity wasn't near like this because of her hips. She just mostly followed us around and wagged her tail. So this is really new for us.

I'm open to any and all suggestions! Thanks.

By the way, she is 6 months old today. Here's a collage of the 1st 6 months!

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
I wonder if you can give her a frozen kong.

Zoe doesn't care when we get ready to go out..in fact, she kind of mopes around. But she does know that she'll get a kong smeared w/peanut butter and another frozen one when we do leave.

S

·
0 Posts
I think the frozen kong is a great idea.

Scout is 3 years and she mopes now too. She knows what I do when I'm getting ready to go out and she's not coming. If there were dog oscar's, she'd get best lead actress in a drama for her performance!

edited to add - love the pictures!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: ok....time for some more advice.....please come in anyone with an excitable

The kong is a good idea, but I wasn't 100% clear in my post. Most of these times it's when she's going with me. So do you have an idea for that? Or did you mean give her kong even though she's going, too.....which is a good idea, actually!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

kiddsmom said:
Wait 4 years. ;)
Thanks! ::)

That's like what I tell people when they complain about their kids....terrible twos, hard-to-handle teens....I say, "Just wait until they turn 22. It'll all be over then. They're great!" ;)

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Both ERnie and Kassa did this. I do it too when I have been house bound all weekend. So excited to get out.

I did two things. If I am getting ready I put them outside with a bone or something to keep them interested then let him in shortly before I go.

Or use the crate.

Both Ernie and Kassa got better and every time I cleaned my teeth, changed clothes they went to their house to wait for the treat.. I always gave a treat when I sent them and they soon learned it was a good thing. Kassa used to sit there drooling. If I take Erns with me I get the lead when I am ready to go out the door. Not before I am dressed or he drives me insane. Kassa did this too.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Exercise and maybe teaching a sit/stay command or settle command and reward for complying.
Kong is great idea or bone or favorite toy

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
set aside an hour on the weekend.

Leash Sally, and ask her to sit and stay. (or down and stay, whichever she's best at). Pick up your keys. She breaks the sit/stay, remove the leash and go sit down for 5 minutes, completely ignoring her.

Then try again. Once she's holding the sit/stay for your keys, then pick up the keys and put on your coat. Work up to your entire leaving routine, expecting her to sit and stay for each step. Then try it again later that same day.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

kaytris said:
set aside an hour on the weekend.

Leash Sally, and ask her to sit and stay. (or down and stay, whichever she's best at). Pick up your keys. She breaks the sit/stay, remove the leash and go sit down for 5 minutes, completely ignoring her.

Then try again. Once she's holding the sit/stay for your keys, then pick up the keys and put on your coat. Work up to your entire leaving routine, expecting her to sit and stay for each step. Then try it again later that same day.
Two questions:

Do you mean an hour of working with her like that? Or do you mean 3 or 4 short sessions that equal an hour total?

Also, how long can I expect her to sit/stay at 6 months. (I realize this varies from dog to dog, temperament to temperament...but ballpark answer.)

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
well, the first session is going to involve a lot of you sitting ignoring her. ;D so there won't be a lot of actual work happening initially.. I just said an hour so that you won't be rushing this, or getting frustrated when she won't settle in time for your walk before work or going out to dinner. Makes sense?

A 6 month old should be able to sit for at least the time it takes for you to pick up keys and put on a coat - 15-30 seconds?

Has she had any formal obedience training with you?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

kaytris said:
well, the first session is going to involve a lot of you sitting ignoring her. ;D so there won't be a lot of actual work happening initially.. I just said an hour so that you won't be rushing this, or getting frustrated when she won't settle in time for your walk before work or going out to dinner. Makes sense?

A 6 month old should be able to sit for at least the time it takes for you to pick up keys and put on a coat - 15-30 seconds?

Has she had any formal obedience training with you?
Yes. She's been to puppy obedience and I've worked a lot with her. She knows sit, down. She can stay for probably a minute(?) if I walk out of the room. If I'm in the room with her, she will stay longer. She knows leave it and she knows off, although that's not her strong point. ;) The one I'm really working on now is heel and walking on a loose leash.

She also knows stuff like "get in your bed" or "in your crate" or "nice" (that means for her to take a treat nicely without snapping your fingers off.)

So she knows how to respond to me. She's definitely trainable. I'm going to enroll her in the next level obedience class.

·
Registered
108 Posts

i know this isnt helpful but we have that same duck in the bottom left!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my chow wont let my lab near it tho lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts