Just Labradors banner

Ok married people,

1K views 49 replies 40 participants last post by  BauersMom 
#1 ·
How long have you been married and name one thing special about your marriage.

I have been married 16 years in July. (2nd one for me) The thing I consider most special about our marriage (other than our love for each other) is our ability to talk everything out. For him that's amazing since he's a quiet kind of guy and keeps things to himself a lot.

#2 ·
16 years and absolutely everything is special. We were meant to be. :) One thing that stands out is that we are constantly cracking eachother up. Laughter in a marriage is really important.

#9 ·
It will be ten years this year for us. Both second marriages. He is my best friend. I think our marriage is successful because we talk, a lot. After work every day we sit and talk about our day, that helps to get some stress relief and then you're not taking out your frustrations on each other without knowing why. That and we're both so easy going. We never really fight about anything. I lubs my honey!

#10 ·
At the moment absolutely nothing. He's in the doghouse and keeps putting himself further and further into it. Taxes "I don't want to do our taxes together." We have software to do them it makes more sense to do them combined to optimize our savings, doesn't it? Sex Me: "When am I going to get some?" Him: "When you're skinny again." Groceries - I have to go grocery shopping because all he buys is junk. Pop, chips, cookies etc. Me: "Did you buy any milk?" Him: "I don't buy milk." The 1 year old drinks homogenized milk now. I am so frustrated.

Why am I married? I have no idea.

#14 ·
We have been married for 18.5 years, and we really enjoy spending time together. We have the same sense of humor, and laugh constantly. We will laugh until we can't breathe and we are both crying. We were doing this over the weekend, and we were trying to tell the kids what we were laughing about, but we couldn't. Finally, they just shrugged and walked away, which made us laugh even harder.

#15 ·
26 years. Thoughtful gestures....each and every day. Example....if he gets up before me he makes my coffee even though he doesn't drink it. He ran to the grocery store for a few items we needed and brought me back a bag of jelly beans because I love jelly beans (didn't need them but that is beside the point). I will be doing laundry and he comes in and offers to help.
I was getting ready to mop the kitchen when my mom called needing help with something and when I returned he had mopped the floor. I try to do the same kinds of things for him.
I would have to say Laughter runs a pretty close second.

#16 ·
42 years. Most of it has been good or better. We have had our fights, one of us has told the other that he/she was free to leave whenever. Neither of us have left, we work it out, and are good for another 5 or 10. Don't have to talk about most things, we know what the other is anticipating.

For example. Ask her what I want to do after supper, she will ask you, before or after he takes the dog to the dog park. Ask me what she wants to do after supper, I will ask you, before or after she finishes the crossword puzzles. Next weekend for either, Are there any good shows (play or concert) in town? However, an opportunity to get together with our kids or grandkids trumps everything else.

#17 ·
It'll be 22 years this May.

Secret to our marriage: She doesn't laugh when she sees me naked.

#22 ·
Married for 12 this May - together for 19 this past September. Luckily we took each other off the market and saved some other poor shlubs from having us. We're pretty sure we've ruined each other for anyone else. Noone else is going to put up with our special kind of crazy but us. :)

#26 ·
15 yrs married this year. The best thing about our marriage.. life has thrown us some pretty heavy crap and we get through it together. We talk, we laugh and we cry together. But we also take a seperate holiday every year, just a few days away with the girls (for me) and he goes off to Portugal with his mates to play golf. The time apart makes us appreciate each other more. And in the winter, he alway goes out and clears the car for me then warms it up :)

#27 ·
We're approaching our 22nd anniverary. We used to joke that the secret to our happy marriage is lots of alcohol and no kids. :) But really, I think it's that we listen to each other and make one another laugh. I think the most special part of our relationship is that we were so young when we got together (19 and 21) that people didn't think it would last. But here we are.

#40 ·
I think the most special part of our relationship is that we were so young when we got together (19 and 21) that people didn't think it would last. But here we are.

Same with us....we were 19 and 21. :) We've been married 11 years. What makes our marriage special is the mutual respect, trust, and love. We've been through some of the toughest experiences people can face, and we've always come out stronger together. He always makes me laugh, we still kiss each other and say I love you all the time, we almost never fight (we're both very laid back people), and he is an awesome father. He always melts my heart when I see him with the kids. He also is a very hard worker, and he does so much for me and the boys. I always tell him the best gift he has ever given me is letting me stay home with the boys these past 9 years. He may not be the romantic type, and we never exchange gifts for holidays/birthdays, but he never fails to let me know how much he appreciates me every single day. We also haven't gotten tired of each other in those 11 years. :p He comes straight home from work, and other than work and deployments, we're never apart. We also like each other's families so that's a bonus. :D I couldn't imagine sharing my life with anyone else. He is my best friend, and I am so, so grateful that we found each other. I am a very lucky girl!

#28 ·
My husband and I have been married almost 12 years. What I love best about our relationship is that we're extremely open with one another, no secrets (except at birthdays and Christmas) and we have a lot of activities we enjoy doing together (cycling, running, canoeing, etc.). We crack each other up all the time and have the same interests for the most part. He is charismatic and funny and selfless. *swoon*

We're approaching our 22nd anniverary. We used to joke that the secret to our happy marriage is lots of alcohol and no kids. But really, I think it's that we listen to each other and make one another laugh. I think the most special part of our relationship is that we were so young when we got together (19 and 21) that people didn't think it would last. But here we are.
My husband and I were quite young when we got married as well (20 and 21) and we met when we were 14 and 15. We were friends first and a romantic relationship bloomed from the friendship. We still have that friendship, but with benefits. ;)

#29 ·
It'll be our 14th wedding anniversary in June, we have the exact same sense of humour, he makes me laugh so hard sometimes I almost pee myself!! We both have similar interests, hobbies, likes and dislikes, he's kind and thoughtful and at the moment he is a stay at home dad and he keeps the house spotless and cooks for us every night when i get in from work.....I'm lucky :)

#30 ·
We'v been together forever. Our secret? Compromising photo evidence.

#31 ·
LOL

Married for 10, together for 20. I don't think our marriage is special. I think SU is special, but we have the same kind of marriage as a lot of folks I know - talk, laugh, bicker a little (very little and never for long), do some things together, do some things apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.