Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a dog (or any animal for that matter) catch MRSA from a human?

My mom has an MRSA infection (on her face), but didn't get a chance to ask the ER doctor when she was there today. We put a call into our vet, but he's in surgery right now and the tech was unsure, and it's bothering me waiting for a call back so I figured I would see if anyone here knew.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Yes, and you can catch MRSA from a dog as well so be diligent. Usually you need an open sore or cut, but that could be as small as a scratch for the bug to get into.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
(Linda is that you? haha)

I got a call back from the vet a few minutes ago and he said it would be very hard for one of the girls to catch it. My mom found out today that she has it so we're running around disinfecting everything and she's not using any towels or utensils...it's kind of freaky actually!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Stacey, there is a minimal risk. Usually bacterial strains differ in how pathogenic they are between species, and it is unlikely that MRSA would infect the girls. However, with that said, a highly infectious superbacteria (which MRSA is) would make it slightly more likely. I would just be sure to keep their noses away from any open wounds your mother may have...Staphylococcus colonizes in the mucous membranes of the nose.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Cadey :D

She does have an open wound on her face (where the whole thing started). I'll make sure to tell her she can't have any kisses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts