Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 40" tv at home in our living room and a 32" down in the basement, both are HD and we have HD cable from comcast. I also have a 19" tv in my room that doesn't have HD cable, but it still looks nice. I really only watch it at night when I'm in bed or I have it on as background noise. I definitely notice the difference between HD/non-HD, but it didn't bother me until last night. In the house I'm dogsitting at they have a 42" tv in their living room and it is not HD and it's just not the same!! The tv in their bedroom is 40" and it does have HD and I was much happier watching that one although it was quite large and in my face while laying in bed!

Does it bother anyone else who has HD when they have to watch non-HD tv?

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
We only have HD on our tv in the living room. The only other tv in the house is in our bedroom and it does not have HD. And it does not bother me at all. But it isn't an HD tv to begin with, so the picture looks as good as it can for a regular tv. Now, if I am at my SIL's house, they have a 52" plasma tv that does not have HD and that does bother me. So my answer is- it depends on the tv! lol

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I am ADORING HD. Sports, for instance, are amazing....

My only complaint now: Our HD set (Samsung) has really crappy, tinny sound. Hmmm... Time for surround??

<<snaps wallet shut>>

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oooooh Dan that's my other thing, I'm used to the surround sound!! It's the best when you're watching a movie with lots of big noises! (ie: crashes or explosions)

Aim, it doesn't bother me on my 19" in my bedroom. I have digital cable and it's 720p (which apparently isn't "full" HD), but watching on the 42" in LCD definitely was not a pretty sight!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
digital cable isn't 720p, your tv is and even if you had 1080p on a tv that small you'd never benefit from it.. 1080p only matters on larger tvs (42-46 minimum) and distance also plays a factor on whether you'll even notice..

not only that, your cable company doesn't broadcast in 1080p, they either broadcast in 1080i or 720p.. the only way to get true 1080p is through bluray.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
digital cable isn't 720p, your tv is and even if you had 1080p on a tv that small you'd never benefit from it..
My point exactly! I just didn't know how to get that across ;)

Blu-ray=amazing!! That's next on our list of things to buy, we have an up-converting DVD player but I really don't notice a picture difference.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
For me, it all depends on the tv. If it's another LCD, then yes, 100% totally. If it's one of our regular old tv's upstairs or in our bedroom, it doesn't bother me at all.

One thing I have noticed though is size - size matters. We have a 52 inch in our basetheatrement and I cannot, simply cannot, enjoy watching tv on a smaller LCD at all. It really bothers me.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
An upconverting dvd player is what you want for a tv that's only 720p because that's what it converts it to.. the only tv that'll benefit from bluray is a tv that is the 1080p. What's the point of putting a 1080p bluray player on a tv that can only broadcast in 720p? It doesn't make sense.

If you've transitioned your discs to bluray and didn't keep the older copies, or you only buy blurays.. then you'd need a player to play those, but most come with a digital copy for older technology so for now, leave the upconverting on your 720p tvs.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Karina.. if i worked for futureshop, i'd have no idea about any of this.. when was the last time you were there? =)

Yes, bluray players play and upconvert dvds.. but putting a $200 bluray player on a tv that would give you the same picture as a $50 upconverting player doesn't make fiscal sense.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Stace.. my other post comments on that upconverting players don't play bluray discs.. but a lot of bluray movies you buy now include a digital copy for older players and ipods/car dvd players, etc..

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
True, kel, true - it's just the first electronic shop to come to mind.

I'm getting my hair cut in half an hour, I think I'm getting bangs.

yay! you should totally get bangs! WHen i got mine, i loved them, but my hair is so curly now it was such a pain because i actually had to DO them.. you know.. blow dryer.. brush.. flat iron, spray..

I finally said screw it and grew them out again.. but they're a nice change.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet!

Our TV that we've only had for a few weeks is 42" and it is 1080p we were looking into bluray, but don't have the extra $$ for one right this minute. It's good to know we can still play the old stuff on them though. I've bought a few DVD's that had digital copy and even a TV series on DVD. I quite like it :)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
yay! you should totally get bangs! WHen i got mine, i loved them, but my hair is so curly now it was such a pain because i actually had to DO them.. you know.. blow dryer.. brush.. flat iron, spray..

I finally said screw it and grew them out again.. but they're a nice change.
That's what I'm looking for, a bit of a change. I'm drying and flatironing every day now anyways, so I may as well have a bit of fun with some bangs too, or something. I chickened out last time though. I'll hold fast and firm for you today though.

Stacey, just talk your brother into getting a PS3!!! LOL

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Do it! And pay attention when they're doing it.. i tend to daydream in the chair and then have no idea how to fix it the next day..

Oh, and i never did buy the paddle brush i was supposed to.. oh well..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.