Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Raises hand high. My degree is in Finance. I am perfectly capable of doing a long form by hand.

I can now do a short form and use Turbo Tax as the house is paid for and I have no medical expenses to claim this year.

But I still put off doing my taxes until last weekend. It only took me 10 minutes. I always get a refund as I claim zero and add 10%. Being single and making decent wages I get hit hard with taxes and I hate having to pay at the end on the year. I would rather get a refund and have them take out a little more each payday.

But for some reason unless I need the money for something important I never seem to make time to file until I really have to.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
We don't file till October...and we have a CPA doing our taxes. :eek:

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
We get ours done, always in early February, because if we're getting a refund we want the $ and if we owe we want to know ahead of time how much we'll have to send in.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Ours get done on time as well. I think in the last decade I have only been late once (and that was last year, they were late by 2 days).

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine are always done by April 15th but it seems I never make time to do them until the beginning of April. My company has even made it easy our W-2's and are on-line by mid-January.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I've used TurboTax for years.
I always take a quick stab at it as soon as I have all of my financial statements and figure out whether I'm getting a refund or if I owe. If I owe, I don't file until April. This year, I got a decent refund, so I filed in February.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I have a degree in Finance... and I always get money back cause I don't want to risk having to pay in... and I do mine as soon as I can electronically access my W-2 and my student loan interest payment forms ;)

SO this year I think I had my taxes done by Feb 2

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I've always done ours the moment I have all the paperwork I need. Filed this year the first week in February and one week later I had my very nice refund in the bank. LOVE TurboTax!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
As seen by my post today, its a big old yes for us! Even when the kids were home and we usually had money coming back, they were never done or sent until April 15th. Now even with Turbo Tax, there done- but nothing will be sent especially the check- until the 15th, how do you spell procrastination!!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Yep; although I used to have to pay and now I get a little back I still wait until April. Just got them done and in the mail this past week.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We owe this year because my brilliant husband decided not to have taxes taken out of his SS or unemployment. He made just enough salary to have to pay taxes on 50% of his SS and, of course, all the unemployment. :mad:

We will send the checks in on the 15th, but the taxes were done last month. This is the first and only time we used H&R Block instead of TurboTax. I wasn't sure how to do it because his unemployment came from KY, his income from IL, and he had the SS. I didn't trust myself to do it right with TurboTax this time, especially since Bill insisted that he pays NO tax on the SS. However, after paying $250 to have them done, I **** sure will do myself from now on, even if it takes me a week! :eek:

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jackie,

I share your fear. One year my father decided to really play the stock market. He had just retired was under 65 so no SS income but had Air Force pension, Honeywell pension as buy out for early retirement till he turned 65 and my mum had SS disability. Well he bought and sold stocks rarely holding them more than 2 weeks. He made major money but his taxes were a nightmare. I made him pay to have them done so that put a slight dent in his profits. I think it ran him $800 his were so complicated.

He got hit with a paper audit and at least he had every buy sell order, profit loss stament logged by the account and so IRS was happy and that was as far as it went. When he started doing it I stressed he had to keep daily records of every sale/trade and he did. He decided the money he made wasn't worth my mum's stress over the audit.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I use TaxActOnline for ours. I do them in February, usually. We break even/owe on Federal but get a pretty good refund from the state. Alabama usually runs out of money if you file too late, so I like to get mine in while the $$$s still there!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Jackie,

I share your fear. One year my father decided to really play the stock market. He had just retired was under 65 so no SS income but had Air Force pension, Honeywell pension as buy out for early retirement till he turned 65 and my mum had SS disability. Well he bought and sold stocks rarely holding them more than 2 weeks. He made major money but his taxes were a nightmare. I made him pay to have them done so that put a slight dent in his profits. I think it ran him $800 his were so complicated.

He got hit with a paper audit and at least he had every buy sell order, profit loss stament logged by the account and so IRS was happy and that was as far as it went. When he started doing it I stressed he had to keep daily records of every sale/trade and he did. He decided the money he made wasn't worth my mum's stress over the audit.
Oh my gosh, your poor mum! :( I can imagine the stress.

The woman who did ours said it should have been over $100 more, but Bill was so upset when she told him he had to pay taxes on half the SS that she cut it down to $250.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
We don't put it off but our CPA does. We're an LLC so we're filing for ourselves and the business, and we're just not going to try and figure out depreciation and stuff like that. I have a great deal of faith in the CPA when it comes to everything except being quick.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
we have our taxes done early by a professional. we do it early because we always owe and it gives us time to save up the money before the payment goes out in april.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts