Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to work tommorrow ! I will be able to call in to check on him mid morning and again later in the afternoon ! My sitter will let him out at lunchtime!

I'm a little concerned that he will get bored in the crate and start picking his stitches ( Samson did exactly that )

I'm thnking of leaving him out of his crate for a few days and put up with the damage ! What do you think ?

I could put a cone on him but again I don't want to stress him unnecessarily so if he doesn't show signs of biting the wound I'm tempted to not cone him as well.

Thoughts please

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I wouldn't, Colin. I would leave him in his crate.
Have you had the cone off at all? If you have, does he go right for the stitches? When Frankie was neutered, I didn't have to use the cone. I told him "leave it", and by golly he did!! :D I left him in his crate while at work, no cone, and he was fine.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Has Dylan had the cone on yet? Although I have had a dog in a cone only a couple of times, neither time did the dog seem to mind at all. In fact, they seemed to take a cetain sadistic joy in ram rodding me behind the knees....hurts!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I'd crate him Colin, that way he would not be jumping up on the couch etc. They make a collar like thing that would like a cone, but not sure if they have them there or if you have time to go get one.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Ha! This is exactly what Libby did to me too Karen. lol

Leave him in the crate, Colin.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Baloo was terrified when I put the cone on him, wouldn't budge for nothing. Stood stock still not moving a muscle until his legs started to tremble, it was awful. :(

But he did just fine without the cone, and this was at a point where he was still crated during the day. I'd say if he tolerates the cone OK, leave him in the crate with it on.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I got one of these suckers for koda's surgery.. it came /after/ her first but i'm going to test it out for the second since she has to be coned and crated for 2 weeks.

I'd at least crate him.. otherwise you'll end up with torn stitches and a torn couch =)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Yes, crate him. That will keep him from jumping up on the couch and pulling the stitches. If he doesn't seem to pay attention to the area when you are around, chances are he won't when you are gone, either. Give him a Kong to keep him busy. Champ never once touched his incision, he acted like it wasn't even there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts