Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used this as a way to treat cold/cough?

My doctor recommended it to me today. I have never heard of it before.

I'm going to go look for some tomorrow and give it a try. Apparently, I'm supposed to put 2-3 drops in a glass of water and drink it.

He also gave me some strong cough medicine with codeine in it. :) And a puffer! I will get rid of this nagging cough one way or another!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Amy, I did... eeeeeek! that stuff is nasty... did it work...? well... not sure. I don't think so. But it might be different with everyone.
good luck.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I'm betting that the cough medicine with codiene and the inhaler is going to knock that cough before the oil of oregano does ! I have done alot of general reading about herbs and things and never really heard that oil of oregano does much - but what do I know - SU just made me a much stronger drink than I wanted him too and I just drank it all! :)

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I got cough syrup with codeine and it sucked. I had a bad cold. My congestion was so bad I woke up at 4 am feeling like I was drowning and hacked up a whole lot of gunk. I tried explaining to the doc that all I really needed was a half decent decongestant. Pseudoephridrine does nothing for me. She said try cough syrup with codeine. Exact same problem. Woke up at 4 am. The cold went away on it's own.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Has anyone ever used this as a way to treat cold/cough?
<snark>Maybe he wanted you to smoke it and then get the munchies.</snark>

I hope you feel better soon and get rid of the cough. I'd be interested to know if that treatment does anything for you.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cough medicine with codeine- Works great!! :) Just makes me sleeeeeeeeepy. And made me feel a little loopy. So I won't be taking it during the day. I may try the Oil of Oregano if my cough is out of control today. So far, it does seem better.

Apparently I have a post viral cough and they can last up to 60 days!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Amy, since I'm a nutter, I do take oil of oregano if I'm feeling a cold coming on, and it works. I've also used it on cuts.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Amy, since I'm a nutter, I do take oil of oregano if I'm feeling a cold coming on, and it works. I've also used it on cuts.
The poultry industry uses it for certain infections :) Studies there have shown it to be very effective there - so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it also worked in humans! The organic dairy industry also uses it.

Hope you feel better Amy!

·
Registered
534 Posts
My husband takes oil of oregano every day. I think it smells so disgusting, I imagine it tastes even worse. He never gets sick so, maybe it does work. I just know if he doesn't wash the glass right away afterward I can totally tell he drank it, because I can smell the glass several feet away!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I take oil or oregano on a regular basis, I also put it in the dogs food. It's a great immune system booster. It tastes like crap though. I put it in something and down it really fast, then drink something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts