Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a no soliciting sign and found all these signs saying Welcome, Please remove your shoes. I was thinking.... HOW RUDE. There sure are a lot of sign choices for this saying.... I guess a lot of people want folks to take their shoes off. THEN I REMEMBERED.... WAIT.... I think that's a northern thing or something.

Anyways.... that's todays brain fart.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Take off your shoes and put on your slippers! A lot of people around here actually take slippers with them to other people's houses, especially if they don't have carpet.

In the summer we usually don't bother taking off our sandals though.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THIS IS JUST SO FORIEGN TO ME. It's weird. I really cannot grasp doing that at peoples homes.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
You guys are serious? You really make people take off their shoes when they come in your homes? :eek:

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
We were always mortified when we went to the States and saw people walking around the house with their shoes on.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
sawyersammy said:
You guys are serious? You really make people take off their shoes when they come in your homes? :eek:

It's not so much MAKING them..it's something that is done.

In Indian culture for example it's a cultural/religion/respect thing.

As for notherners...good god try cleaning salt and mud and crap from a snow storm off your hardwood floors and tiles and carpet...royal PITA!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sawyersammy said:
ISN'T THAT WEIRD?

Maybe being down south... with hot stinky feet.... It is totally more offending if you take your shoes off. In fact, kids get in trouble if they take their shoes off.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
sawyersammy said:
Sorry - you people don't? I've never been anywhere where i have not had to take my shoes off! Even in summer I usually do and I bring my moccassins to people's houses but only if I know them. I feel strange walking around the house with shoes on !

I'm from Canada!

sawyersammay - that explains it a bit more - never thought of it!

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
That's what I was thinking Shanna! I don't LET my kids take their shoes off when they're here!

I've heard of the cultural thing, just didn't realize it was a northern thing. lol

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Where I grew up in Michigan, people didn't remove their shoes either. But here in Canada, everyone does. It isn't even asked, it is just done. You have to make sure your socks don't have holes. ;)

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
In my house, it's just in the Winter, but my sister's house it's year round (she just hates dirty shoes).

It's the first thing my kids do - shoes off!

The salt is a bugger! Plus, if some do and some don't, then the people in socks are stepping in all the puddles.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Wow Shanna, I'm with you. I had NO idea about this. ??? If someone walked in my house and removed their shoes, I would think it terribly rude! Isn't that funny?

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I've never heard of it either...

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
We don't ask people to do it, but we provide little disposable slippers in packages for the folks that do. The salt is a motha on tile grout and hardwood floors. When I went to visit my brother and sister-in-law, I wipped off my shoes and pulled out peds, and my SIL did a double take. I almost 'cracked' my pants laughing. I explained it to her, and she just shook her head. ;D It's habit for me now, I guess.

My grandma takes it one step further, we each have slippers knit for us (20+ family members), and she has them out when she knows you're coming! She'll run and get them when you visit unexpectedly too. Spring Summer Winter Fall, you're wearing them if you're in her house. My DH looked so befuddled when he first visited and had to take off his shoes, but he was so happy when he saw that she made him a pair because he figured that meant he was staying around for a while. ;D

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Wow, everyone takes their shoes/slippers off before they enter houses over here.
We are always barefoot in the house.

If we were to keep them on, that would be rude.

(you may have seen pics of people at our parties. no shoes)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
In my house we don't ask anyone to remove their shoes,personally we don't care.

However,especially during the winter months ,everyone removes their shoes/boots. I think it's habit for most people. We were at a small party last month and well over half the couples brought there slippers or house shoes. It's really quite common and goes unnoticed.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AngusFangus said:
Wow Shanna, I'm with you. I had NO idea about this. ??? If someone walked in my house and removed their shoes, I would think it terribly rude! Isn't that funny?
Exactly... it's like... HEY NOW... You're not staying that long... don't get too cozy. BWAAHHAAAHAA!

Then second thing is.... WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I want to SMELL YOUR FEET? In Texas, you would need to have a hose and a bar of soap at the front door.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
CoCosMom said:
Take off your shoes and put on your slippers! A lot of people around here actually take slippers with them to other people's houses, especially if they don't have carpet.

In the summer we usually don't bother taking off our sandals though.
Exactly!!!!
kaisdad said:
We were always mortified when we went to the States and saw people walking around the house with their shoes on.
Same here. I am forever yelling at the t.v shows, where people come in the house and sit on couches and crap with their shoes on "TAKE YOUR **** SHOES OFF PEOPLE" and I look at my SU and go 'Seriously? Who goes into someone else's house and doesn't take off their shoes? And who sits around on furniture with shoes on anyways?

It seems so funny to hear you guys are the total opposite - mortified at us who do take our shoes off!!

1 - 20 of 326 Posts