Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am the matron of honor in my sisters wedding and am really diving into the planning, hoping to book a place for May 1st. Her bridesmaids have been great, everyone is agreeable and they all like my ideas.
My mother, on the other hand, OH BOY!
Let's just say we have totally different taste. Mostly though I guess it's that we are from different generations.
This is the type of stuff she thinks we should have. I don't even think it's stuff she really likes, she just had her mind fixated on these things she is used to being at bridal showers
These types of decorations

This type of centerpiece

And fill in the blank invites

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now this is the type of stuff I want.
The bridesmaids dresses are black, mine is black with a red sash and she is going to be carrying red roses.

favors

I love the clear little beads in this

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Wow. Your picks are stunning! I love the invitations! Just remind your mother this isn't for her...its for her daughter and its all about her daughter's taste. And take a deep breath. And have a glass of wine handy.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I really like your suggestions. :)

Although the cake seems a bit much for a bridal shower. It looks more like a cake for the actual wedding. But it is really pretty. :)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Hey, I had the crap in the first post (even the Precious Moments cake), and 17.5 years later I think it was good luck :). Whatever you do, make sure you don't lose the tradition of taking all of the bows and ribbons, attaching them to a paper plate and making a lovely bouquet. If you want to go all elegant and everything, your picks are ok . . .

Kidding, the stuff you chose is gorgeous and will make a beautiful shower.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I really like your picks for the bridal shower--they are stunning! You might remind your mother that the colors fit your sister's choices.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, I had the crap in the first post (even the Precious Moments cake), and 17.5 years later I think it was good luck :). Whatever you do, make sure you don't lose the tradition of taking all of the bows and ribbons, attaching them to a paper plate and making a lovely bouquet. If you want to go all elegant and everything, your picks are ok . . .

Kidding, the stuff you chose is gorgeous and will make a beautiful shower.
There is nothing wrong with those first choices, 17.5 years ago.
Sorry, but the LAST thing I will be doing is making a paper plate bouquet! Besides the fact that I don't want to do it, my sister would probably kill me too!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like your suggestions. :)

Although the cake seems a bit much for a bridal shower. It looks more like a cake for the actual wedding. But it is really pretty. :)
Yeah, I realize that cake is a bit over the top, but it's going to be small enough to only feed about 50 people so it will be 3 small tiers. I may even do 2 tiers, I just want to stay away from the typical sheet cake. I wanted to do a square cake but that's what my sister picked for her wedding cake.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I don't think the cake is too much at all, I think it's perfect for the style you picked. I love your taste..
Remind your mother that YOU are the matron of honor so it's your choice. :)

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Not to be too nosey but... your choices look rather expensive. Can the other bridesmaids afford it? I think there is nothing wrong with a sheet cake. I like fresh flowers for the decorations as well.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Sorry, but the LAST thing I will be doing is making a paper plate bouquet! Besides the fact that I don't want to do it, my sister would probably kill me too!
Come on! Not only did my bridesmaids make the bouquet . . . my cousin tied it on my head like a hat! Those are some awesome pictures!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not to be too nosey but... your choices look rather expensive. Can the other bridesmaids afford it? I think there is nothing wrong with a sheet cake. I like fresh flowers for the decorations as well.
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with a sheet cake but it's so typical, I want to make this really special and unique.
It's actually pretty reasonable. The mother of the groom offered to pay $100 towards the cake and pay for the favors. My mother is paying for the wine (the restaurant we like is BYOB so that will save lots of money). So the bridesmaids only have to pay for the restaurant, centerpieces, invitations and the cake overage.
Those favors are only $1.75 a piece and I am going to make the centerpieces my self from where ever I can find roses on sale a day or 2 before the shower.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Costco always has great prices on roses and they are nice too. I did roses for my friends shower and got them there.
Unfortunately we don't have a Costco in my area, but we do have Sam's Club and Bj's and they usually have a good price on bouquets of 2 dozen roses.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
You guys give favours for a bridal shower? Are you having a party at someone's house?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts