Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do some folks ask a question and when you give them the answer they say "Oh really?":suspicious:

Might as well ask you if you are lying. Had one last night on the phone, I was up in the work dept, he called and asked if we had a certain type boot, we did and he asked the price, checked on it, told him $154.98, he said "Oh really?" I just said yes. So many times want to tell them, "no I'm lying." Well I do, but not with customers, just co-workers. It does cure them of it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sometimes.:frusty:

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I think it's just a reaction comment. I see your point though.
That's what I think. I made the very same remark not too long ago with a pharmacist who quoted a price for Flynn's pheno Rx. It was SO low all I could think of to say in the surprise of the moment was, "Really!"

·
Registered
72 Posts
My father in law does this on a CONSTANT basis with me. And yes, he's basically telling me I don't know what I am talking about. Perfect example: He was visiting last April. I was telling him about how much worse the pollen is North Carolina vs. where we lived in NY. I told him that we had to keep the windows closed because it gets in the house and just coats everything in a layer of yellow dust. His response: "Oh really? That can't be right. *scoff scoff*"

When he went to leave the next morning, we said our good-byes and he went out to his car only to return and ask for? Windex and some papertowels because he couldn't see out of the windows of his car from all the pollen. Take your "Oh really?" and shove it, FIL.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
It depends on the tone. The way I use it, it's usually a replacement for "are you sure about that?" and not "why are you lying?". But I have heard people use it, and you can tell by the tone of their voice what they mean.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is an honest questiong it's a good phase to use, otherwise it is just wrong and should not be used, but we all know that isn't the only one like that "ya know.":shocked:

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 12 of 12 Posts