Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A vet hospital burned to the ground here in the Atlanta area. A dozen dogs and cats died in the fire. It was horrible....just horrible. I've been thinking about that all day today. Those poor animals. Five or six of the animals who died belonged to the vet personally. They said the fire started in the front office somehow and spread very quickly downstairs where the animals are housed.

The small bit of good news is that several were rescued. Five big dogs were rescued and recusitated(sp?) by the use of special canine oxygen masks that had just been donated to the local fire department. The fire fighters and one of the vet technicians worked very hard to save what they could.

Maybe it would be a good idea to check and see if your fire department has those canine oxygen masks. I've never heard of them before.

Stuff like this just scares the crap out of me!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Oh, my... I always worry about fire and that Choco would be stuck in it while I work. I feel so sad for those animals.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
There's going to be a fundraiser in London for exactly those masks in September!!

Help Save a Life!

On Sunday, September 2, 2007 we are having the first ever London Pooch Plunge at the Stronach Pool Recreation Centre. Happy Paws, in partnership with the London Aquatic and Fire Department will be raising funds for oxygen masks for pets. These masks were made to fit cats and dogs who need oxygen because of a fire in their home. There are three sizes of masks and every fire engine in the city will have a set. The fire department is very excited to have these masks on the fire engines because they want to save the lives of your treasured pets. Now with these masks designed just for animals, it will make it easier for firefighters to do that.

We hope to see you on September 2 with your dogs. The cost is $5.00 per dog per session. (Session 1 is 2:00- 3:00, Session 2 is 3:30-4:30) Check out the Pooch Plunge web site (to be lanched on July 1, 2007) for more details.

How kewl is that?? ;D

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Wilmington Kennel Club donated them the fire dept. last spring in Delaware. One of our students was instrumental in getting this accomplished.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
How sad. I'm thankful for the ones who did get saved but that is just awful.

I think we all worry about something happening while we are away from them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Portland Fire Bureau just got some of those masks, and I remember seeing a recent story where a dog was revived by one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts