Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't fill in all the details right now, but great news....I've been voted in 54 to 1!!! I'm off to the firehouse and will explain later!!! oh yes, and congratulations are in order!!

UPDATE: Sorry for posting and running off without explaining last night but I shall fill you in now. Thanks for all the trusting congratulations without having a clue!! So here goes... as of last night I have been confirmed as a probabtionary EMT (fire medic) with our local firehouse. My name was brought up for consideration a month ago, I had to pass certain physical exams, drug tests, blood tests, etc. Once the paperwork and exams were complete my name was brought to the membership for a vote which was last night!! Once I'm sworn in I (which should be by Sunday) I start responding to calls with the ambulance, start the NYS EMT training (2 nights a week for 6-8 months) and have to pass the state exams to get off probation. This is fully volunteer work.

I needed to find something meaningful to do, I considered and inquired about becoming a dog trainer or vet tech, both of which would not fit in my schedule since I still work full time. My husband is a FF in this department, but other than responding to the same calls, we're totally separate. One of my concerns was moving into what I consider "his space", I know that I was approved by such a high rating because of who he is in the department (he's a lieutenant), and I have a lot to live up to, but he was really proud last night!!

As a volunteer, the department pays all of my educational expenses, but I will have to prove myself as far as response % and doing the grunge work that all "probabtionary...PROBBIES" wind up doing. So I guess you'll be reading some interesting posts in the next few weeks.

(BTW...for those of you that know about my job hunt...I was very up front with the department about my work hours and the complications that may arise, they told me that FIRST comes family, THEN your income, and only then the firehouse.)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Re: oh it's a busy night...

Congratulations. Can't wait to hear the details.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts

wooohoooo!!!

Congratulations Randi!!!!

...now don't forget to come back and tell us what we just congratulated you for ;)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts

Cool! Congratulations! 54-1! Sounds great, whatever it is. ;) :)

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

Congratulations!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Pssst...what am I congratulating???

·
Registered
6,114 Posts

Who was the 1, and how do you plan on making their life a living hell? I always hated 1. Such a *****.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts