Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh Boy ... Need Advice, FAST **UPDATED**

Thanks for all your considered responses. Please don't pick on an old fella and his wife.

Click on pic for slideshow. "Rusty" is home with us now.

:pop2:

I love my wife Carol. There's virtually nothing that I wouldn't do for her. She may have taken me to the edge with this one ...

That's "Hoss" ... an eight week old yellow Labradoodle pup. Carol's in love with him.

I've used all of the logic, reasoning, implied threats, promises and everything else I could think of. Carol's still in love with him.

She had poodles all of life until we married 20 years ago. She's been gracious enough to accept all gun dawgs ever since. Now she want's "her own" pup and she feels that this little guy will be the best possible compromise for her sake and mine.

Just found out that today's the day we're supposed to drive the 65 miles to go see him.

HELP!

:whistle:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Jim,

I am on your side, but sometimes we (the guys) have to yield to their emotional whims.

Might be a good thing to help you through your stress and heartache with Cappy. Cappy might like having a clown around to entertain him.

Ed

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
I think she deserves a pup of her own, although I don't like to support these designer breeds. He sure is cute!
Me, too. Now, if she had found that cutie in the pound, I'd be all for it.

Jim, have you explained that whole "designer breed" thing to Carol?

·
Registered
806 Posts
She does deserve her own dog, get her a poodle not a mutt. If you must go the mutt route, please go to your local shelter!!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Awwww! Let her have her dog, Jim. It's not like you two are supporting the breeding of these dogs in general. It's a DOG! She fell in love with it. You're not youngsters with fleeting whims.
It's a very pretty puppy and I wouldn't hang my head in shame over bringing it home for Carol... she's earned the right to have whatever dog she wants.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
That looks like an online puppy sale picture, in which case you would be supporting a BYB or worse, a puppy mill or broker for one. I agree with Nicole.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Jim, he's an adorable "Hoss". I see a 60 mile drive is in order. He's a puppy in need of a home with Carol, you and the dawgs. Let us know what the outcome is please. All the best.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me, too. Now, if she had found that cutie in the pound, I'd be all for it. Jim, have you explained that whole "designer breed" thing to Carol?

I think she deserves a pup of her own, although I don't like to support these designer breeds. He sure is cute!

She does deserve her own dog, get her a poodle not a mutt. If you must go the mutt route, please go to your local shelter!!
I've done those things and more. However ... Carol being Carol, one who is in general well read and informed, and a founder of the Las Vegas Hunting Retriever Club ... she is quick to point out that we "purists" tend to overlook the fact that the Labrador Retriever, like almost all breeds today, was a "designer mutt" at one time because it was the result of intentionally cross breeding two or more "pure" breeds in order to attempt to pull certain of the genetic attributes and qualities of each. And she's right.

Having said that, please understand that she is not debating facts with me, just explaining her feelings. Pretty hard to tell someone their feelings are incorrect. That's a personal preference like color or flavor.

Believe me, if we could rescue a "clean Doodle" we'd sure consider that. However, in this case, Carol wants to see the parents and grandparents (they are all four on site) look at the entire litter, check the penn hip records of the parents and view their overall health records. I can't fault that approach either.

I feel myself slipping ....

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I've done those things and more. However ... Carol being Carol, one who is in general well read and informed, and a founder of the Las Vegas Hunting Retriever Club ... she is quick to point out that we "purists" tend to overlook the fact that the Labrador Retriever, like almost all breeds today, was a "designer mutt" at one time because it was the result of intentionally cross breeding two or more "pure" breeds in order to attempt to pull certain of the genetic attributes and qualities of each. And she's right.
However, that was done at a time when we were NOT in an overpopulation crisis with dogs dying in shelters by the millions. Context is everything.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Go. This is obviously something she really, really wants and has thought a lot about.

I do find it a bit ironic that people who have pedigreed dogs will tell you to go to the pound. I have a pound dog and I love her to bits. She may even be purebred. Who knows? She was just too much energy for 2 families to handle, but has now settled in nicely and become a very pleasant girl. My point is, pedigreed dogs will sometimes end up up for adoption, too. And while I don't generally agree with buying a hybrid dog, I'm not sure I see why it's more wrong than buying a pedigreed dog when so many nice mutts are up for adoption. Sure I've thought of getting a pedigreed lab-for the calm nature, lovely temperment and willingness to please but I a) can't justify or afford the price and b)know there is a loving mutt who needs a home at the pound.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I agree with all the statements made here but I also look at this way - this pup will come to a very loving home where he'll be appreciated and loved for the dog he is, not for the mutt he is and he'll never end up in a shelter or abused. Let's face it, lots of us fell in love with dogs or cats that didn't always come from the most reputable breeders (some even came from pet shops..).
That's my 5 cents.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
You get the pup and say Happy Valentines Day!!!! :D
^this^ I'm not a doodle fan, infact I don't see what people see in them-butttttt
she deserves her own dog, she knows poodles and their tempermament. Every doodle I've seen, were lab sized, but poodle temperment- not a good compo for us. Sounds like it could be for Carol though! Enjoy the ride and we'll be anxious to see what happens.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I agree with all the statements made here but I also look at this way - this pup will come to a very loving home where he'll be appreciated and loved for the dog he is, not for the mutt he is and he'll never end up in a shelter or abused. Let's face it, lots of us fell in love with dogs or cats that didn't always come from the most reputable breeders (some even came from pet shops..).
That's my 5 cents.
I could not have said it better. I agree completely. Good luck with your new pup:)

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
You obviously feel more like the anti-BYB, anti-designer mutt camp so saying anything further along those lines is just preaching to the choir. Carol obviously feels differently in this case... and strongly. So I guess you'd better get used to now having a doodle in your family.

(And I have to say, I've generally not seen the appeal, but that little guy is cute!)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Has she been around the breed (or mixed breed)? I've been around 4 or 5, and every one I've ever seen is a nut case. Totally uncontrollable....or at least very, very difficult to control. Crazy dogs.

They are extremely cute, however!! Good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Looks like Carol has done her research. I think it's time to say "Happy Valentine's Day".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts