Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife loves her 2003 PT Cruiser. It is a 2.4 Turbo. Last week she got four blocks away and came back. Told me it sounded like animals were crying under the hood. No animals present. AAA came yesterday and took it to their shop and today we received the bad news. $5300 worth of damage. :eek: The turbo was destroyed. Parts are back ordered. We are renting a car. Yuck. and double yuck. Car is only worth 3 grand even though it is in good shape other than the Turbo. Is cheaper to fix the Turbo than to scrap it for something else right now. Wife drives almost 500 a week to and from work.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Can your shop pull a turbocharger off a junkyard car and put that in your wife's car? Would probably save a bundle.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you destroy a turbo?

I don't know for sure. Some people ust have a knack for it. This is the 2nd one in less than two years. First one was because she did not allow the engine to warm up before motoring off. She just started the engine and away she went. Did not allow time for lubricant to circulate to the turbo. This time the air intake hose ruptured and allowed dirt into it and destryed the innerds.

What is a turbo, anyway?[/QUOTE]

A device that increases horsepower and allows the mfg to charge more for the car.

I thought about going to a junk yard but I don't know what I am looking for to be sure the bloody thing is in good condition. Parts have been ordered.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

My sympathies mate. When the turbo goes, its never a cheap fix.
While the car's off the road, you'd do well to get the engine checked out, incase any metal shards have worked their way into the engine internals - If they have, expect that cost to skyrocket (Easier to replace the engine)

Can your shop pull a turbocharger off a junkyard car and put that in your wife's car? Would probably save a bundle.
Generally speaking - a very bad idea.
Chances are that the turbo would be in poor condition, which would only multiply the problems further down the road.

What is a turbo, anyway?
A metal snail that can make cars go VERY fast, eats a lot of air and makes insurance companies happy, as generally speaking, a turbocharged car is a quick car

This's the Wikipedia page on them, its not easy reading though...

There's a couple in the metal for you.
The one on the right is closer to the size that'd be on the PT Cruiser.

Cheers,

Pottsie

·
Registered
11,990 Posts

Generally speaking - a very bad idea.
Chances are that the turbo would be in poor condition, which would only multiply the problems further down the road.
Maybe so with a turbo - never had a car with one - but I have used parts from junkers for years and years without any problem. A car that has been totaled for reasons other than mechanical still probably has a viable powertrain. When I totaled my 68 VW - and it was TOTALED - I got more than what I paid for the whole car when I pulled and sold the engine.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Wow. Thanks, Ben.
That thing (on the right) really does resemble a snail's shape!

:)
What Pottsie should have said was it's a car that gets a blow job.:D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

Maybe so with a turbo - never had a car with one - but I have used parts from junkers for years and years without any problem. A car that has been totaled for reasons other than mechanical still probably has a viable powertrain. When I totaled my 68 VW - and it was TOTALED - I got more than what I paid for the whole car when I pulled and sold the engine.
Yeah - don't get me wrong, if you're after cheap second-hand parts, a wrecking yard is the perfect place to go. Especially if you can't find the part, or aren't prepared to spend $13,000 for a door seal straight from the manufacturer.

What Pottsie should have said was it's a car that gets a blow job.:D
Well said mate - haven't heard that one before.

Cheers,

Pottsie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts