Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you get your dogs Hips Xrayed, are the elbows checked at the same time? I am talking for OFA. I understand they are put under anesthesia to do this, are the radiographs sent out, or do you know the results that day. Or does this all depend on the vet.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Yes, do them all at the same time. If you use a vet who does a lot of OFAs, they will usually be able to give you a good idea on the hip ratings. Most admit that elbows are tougher to read and so a regular vet may miss a Grade I, so I'm never comfortable until the OFA results come back. Anne

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet that I am considering, slings the dogs for the xrays, if that makes any sense? The vet came highly rated. Just want to have all my questions at my fingertips before I make that call.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I have no idea about that! Mine does the standard OFA positioning, on their back, legs stretched very straight and tight. He has beautiful quality positioning and xrays. That's what you want. If the hips are good, they'll look very good, if bad, they'll look very ugly!

·
Registered
852 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Never heard of using a sling either. Just make sure that the vet is known for doing OFA xrays. The one I used for Grace told me that everything appeared normal. And I got a Good/Normal reading off her.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sling talk came from another breeder I spoke with. She made it sound like they put them up in a sling so to line everything up right. Seems to be a reptuable vet.

·
Registered
490 Posts
OFA does NOT require sedation. Some vets are comfortable doing the x-rays with the dog totally awake as long as they are well behaved.

It takes 3 - 6 weeks turn around time to get results from OFA but as mentioned your regular vet can give you an idea - they can typically spot bad hips and really bad elbows.

If you are neutering/spaying your dog then getting the x-rays done then make it easy for everyone.

I've never heard of a "sling" to take radiographs. It's very easy to lay a dog on it's back and pull them straight and snap an x-ray. I guess if it works for your vet and you trust her/him then go for it.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
PennHIP requires sedation and/or anesthesia, OFA does not require sedation of any sort. Never heard of the sling - I'd be interested to find out what it is though!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll call them tomorrow, and get a better idea what they do. I haven't contacted them yet, just heard they were good to go to. Maybe since nobody heard of slinging them, and if that is what he does, this isn't a good idea. Let me get more info, and I will report back on this.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
You will probably have to request that the vet radiograph ("x-ray") the elbows in addition to the hips if getting films done for OFA. It isn't an automatic assumption, and since many different breeds need many different types of joint films for OFA (labs are obviously one of the most commonly done), make sure you ask to have both hips and elbows. Anything with "OFA" in the purpose with regards to radiographs/x-rays is sent into OFA. If they aren't, then they aren't "OFA Films" and shouldn't be advertised as such.

You may very well have an idea of how everything looks that same day, but the only ones who can make that final OFA "grade" is OFA itself (the finals are read by 3 different board-certified veterinary radiologists to come up with the grade).

Are you doing this for breeding purposes or for information for long-term joint health and performance activities? That would have a lot to do with whether or not I would A) send them in and B) wait until getting final results before proceeding any further. In the cases of both A) and B), I would absolutely answer YES! if considering breeding, but obviously OFA hips/elbows are only a small part of the breeding puzzle in any one particular dog.

As far as the "sling" concept, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps they're referring to the modified "kneeling" position that they're using for that new DNA study for Hip Dysplasia (though I doubt this is what the vet is talking about)?
http://bakerinstitute.vet.cornell.edu/faculty/view.php?id=178
Otherwise, perhaps it is some sort of contraption that holds the legs in a certain way when actually taking the film? If taken on an awake animal, I absolutely would not trust any "contraption" holding the legs... with humans holding, they can release or loosen their grip or modify a position if the animal is struggling. If any sort of "contraption" is holding limbs, a struggling animal could end up severely injured by struggling against something that doesn't "give" to pressure.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did call them today. Not sure where the person recommending got the sling idea, but they don't sling the dog. They put them under anesthesia, and place them on their back. Two people will hold, while another will snap the film. They said the cost is @ $380, and additional $35 to send the films out. Sound reasonable?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Prices have probably increased and it most likely depends on where you live in the country. I had Grace's hips/elbows done in 2007 for $285 and they were done digitally. But I have heard of a place about an hour away that still does standard xrays BUT the lady who does them supposedly used to work for OFA, and a bunch of lab folks have gone there with good results. We'll try that with the boys next year.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
OFA does NOT require sedation. Some vets are comfortable doing the x-rays with the dog totally awake as long as they are well behaved.

It takes 3 - 6 weeks turn around time to get results from OFA but as mentioned your regular vet can give you an idea - they can typically spot bad hips and really bad elbows.

If you are neutering/spaying your dog then getting the x-rays done then make it easy for everyone.
Why would anyone x-rays hips/elbows when the dog is being de-sexed? Would that not only really matter if you were considering breeding? Not being argumentative - just don't get the rationale here.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Why would anyone x-rays hips/elbows when the dog is being de-sexed? Would that not only really matter if you were considering breeding? Not being argumentative - just don't get the rationale here.
I recommend anyone investing the time and money into training and competing (esp in agility and hunt tests) to get them done so they know their dog is sound. Nothing worse than watching someone discipline a dog that is really quitting because it hurts. :(

The last set of hips/elbows I did (Oct 08) was up ~$20 from the year before to about $230 if I remember right. Full sedation, reversable. The vet clinic had just done a major addition/remodel, so I know that was part of the increase but it's still darned reasonable for the quality.

Anne

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
And no offense to anyone with the way I word this, but some folks are overly anal with worry wondering if their lab is going to come down with HD. They agonize over "bunny hops" and laying "frog legged", so when you take xrays during the spay/nueter, the vet can put their worries to rest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts