Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I take Harley for walks, he won't go for more than 100 ft east of our place. West, North, ok. Haven't tried south because nothing is there. But head East down the sidewalk and after our property line, he stops and sits down and will strain to get home. I have tried heeling him (something he's picking up slowly), pulling, coaxing, commanding, everything including a bit of dragging to see if that would get him to move. Nothing works. Even more, when I start back, he runs straight to the front door. It's like something that direction scares him, but there's nothing unusual down that way. Just more places like ours, driveways, a fence. All common stuff.

Tonight he chased his tail for a half hour straight. Not 5 minutes, take a break for ten, then 5 minutes more... 1/2 hour of chase clockwise, stop, look around and pant, see his tail, chase it counterclockwise. I wonder if he has obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Kevin

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
It's not too unusual for puppies to have irrational fears. Puppies also like to chase their tails, but after about 5 minutes of that, I would distract him with a toy.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Don't pull him, or coax him, let him do the work. When he stops walking in that direction, stop, keep the leash slack (without walking home), and wait. Eventually he will start moving again (in that direction) and reward him when he does so. Dozer was TERRIFIED of going through our gate and after two times doing what I just suggested to you do with Harley. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cooper did the same thing at the end of our street. I ended up picking him up and carrying him for a bit and put him down. He was fine, it was just the end of our street he was afraid of. One day he just kept walking and I didn't have to pick him up anymore. I guess they do have their own quirks.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
It's not too unusual for puppies to have irrational fears. Puppies also like to chase their tails, but after about 5 minutes of that, I would distract him with a toy.

Ditto. They do occasionally have irrational fears and then one day not. So who knows. Barney does occasionally, but I haven't had any problems with him refusingto go on...I just keep walking and not let on. Good luck!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We tried it again tonight and the more we sat and I waited, the more scared he seemed to become. He was straining at the leash and whining. After about five minutes, I picked him up and carried him for the rest of the block and while he still wanted to head home, he heeled ok (ok for Harley, that is) and we went down a side street. As soon as I decided it was time to go home, he started straining again and couldn't get home fast enough...

We'll try it again tomorrow and see what happens.

Kevin

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I'll re-iterate that I'd be concerned walking him in the neighborhood until all of his shots are in him. Parvo lives on surfaces.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I'll re-iterate that I'd be concerned walking him in the neighborhood until all of his shots are in him. Parvo lives on surfaces.
That.

(Dozer's last set of shots is July 9th and I cannot wait to get him out and start walking him. My sister (vet assistant) says to wait 4-5 days after the vaccines are given to take a pup out into public areas).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Sharon, I appreciate your advice... ;) Harley's final shots are today, so hopefully we can get out again soon. How long after the shots do you think I should wait before he's safe?

Kevin

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Bauer was scared to death to walk away from our house. Walking toward the house, fine . . . but he didn't want to leave. He would sit down, and refuse to come with us. I started dropping peices of kibble as we went, and he was so busy finding the kibble that he didn't realize he was walking away. I reduced the amount of kibble each day, and within a couple weeks he was fine.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Correction: I just checked and he has had his Parvo with the first visit...

Parvo is given in a series of shots - the last of which I believe is not until 16 weeks. He is not fully immunized until all shots are in him - several days after the last shot.

It may seem like this is an overabundance of caution - but Parvo is deadly and he would not even have to come into physical contact with an infected dog to contract it. It lives on surfaces - like the fire hydrant or light pole he sniffed on a walk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts