Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I hope they do something to correct that. I don't think asking her "what's the matter" is going to do the trick. Cute (looking) pup, though.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
She'd have that chew taken away quickly. Then she and I would have a rather spirited "come to Jesus" meeting.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
She'd have that chew taken away quickly. Then she and I would have a rather spirited "come to Jesus" meeting.
Same here. Although in all honestly, I don't allow my dogs to get to that point to begin with.

Why the heck people think that behavior is entertaining and tolerate it is beyond me.

eta- Of course, HRPH, Caleb came in to see what all the growling was about. I looked at him and told him not to get any ideas!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Halle is like that, I can take food, toys from her mouth but give her a rawhide and its like her eyes glaze over and she becomes this other dog, needless to say she does not get rawhides anymore.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can take anything from Alfie i just say DROP and he does it no matter what it is, even the kids can do it. I dont tend to make him do it alot with treats but i can stroke him and go near him when he has one

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I can take anything from Alfie i just say DROP and he does it no matter what it is, even the kids can do it. I dont tend to make him do it alot with treats but i can stroke him and go near him when he has one
That's fine.. but not really the point. There are plenty of dogs out there with possessive issues.. the trick is to deal with them in any way that makes it safer for both people and dogs. Clearly this family is not.

Koda has food aggression issues. I'm not sure when they started or why since she's a rescue.. but she's never had a problem with ME.. it's just been tuck .. although i wouldn't be surprised if she got snarly with other people grabbing a bone from her..

In any case.. she doesn't eat in the same room as tuck does.. she eats in her crate.. she doesn't get bones anymore.. and she gets fed AFTER tuck does.. even with treats.

It's a problem i'll have to work on after her rehab is done.. but it's safe to say she wouldn't be gnawing on a bone in the living room if she couldn't be trusted to do so w/o growling at my family or guests.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
As an aside.. she LOVES tuck.. LOVES him.. more than he loves her =) So it really did surprise me when she in no certain terms told him to back off from her bone.. poor tuck.. a small child could stick their hand in his dish or steal his bone and he wouldn't flinch.. such a trusting soul.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Oh yeah, have to agree with Labby... that pupper would be having a "come to jesus" meeting post haste.

That is not acceptable, no way, no how, not in this lifetime.

As for anyone who makes a dog growl for entertainment needs an f'ing smack upside their head.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Teddy has issues very similar to that. If he has a "high value" treat he gets very possessive and aggressive. Since he is a rescue, I don't know when they started. He no longer gets those treats. I can't even give them kongs. He would finish his and then take Jefferson's away.
We have worked very hard on the food dish issue, he and Jefferson now eat in the same room. If he begins to sneak over to Jefferson's dish, an "Aaaa, aaaa, not yours!" will back him away.
Kongs are only given in the crate, or while he is on leash and I am holding the kong the entire time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts