Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll admit I'm a little lazy today and before I go searching for it online - what is the "obediecne master" title and what are the qualifications? I know that many people were excited by it because it is something you can continue to strive to get without having to go after your OTCH.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
You need 200 points to get an OB (Obedience Master). The number of points you earn are based on the score you get, rather than placements. You can get 10 Obedience Master titles, at which point you receive the Obedience Grand Master Title. A certain percentage need to come from Open B and another from Utility B

The schedule is:

Section 3. Point Schedule.
Dog’s Score/ Points

190/ 6 Points
190.5 /6
191 /6
191.5 /6
192 /9
192.5 /9
193 /9
193.5 /9
194 /9
194.5 /9
195 /12
195.5 /12
196 /12
196.5 /12
197 /15
197.5 /15
198 /15
198.5 /15
199 /15
199.5 /15
200/ 15
Succession of Obedience Master Titles
OM1 Obedience Master 1
OM2 Obedience Master 2
OM3 Obedience Master 3
OM4 Obedience Master 4
OM5 Obedience Master 5
OM6 Obedience Master 6
OM7 Obedience Master 7
OM8 Obedience Master 8
OM9 Obedience Master 9
OGM Obedience Grand Master

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Another money making scheme for AKC.

I don't buy into all this stuff, I've just never seen the need to continually campaign a dog over and over and over and over. Let the darn dog retire and move on with a new dog, that's my feelings.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess if you only have one or two dogs, and you want to keep doing something with them, this gives you a little something to aim for. I know that I would like to be starting a new dog now, but I don't think we can handle 3 dogs right now, so I have to keep showing my 2 or else not show at all.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
3 dogs is my limit too.
And I'll most likely never see a UDX leg or OTCH point, no matter how hard we try ;)
So I just go to other venues and do agility, etc... :)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Personally, I am a title whore!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Title Whore! Love it!

Karen TW

LOL

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Title Whore! I love it, LOL!

I like collecting titles too, but I go to various venues to do it.

Seems the older I get, the harder those advanced titles are to get as well. I don't think I'll ever make it to earn an Excellent Agility title, I just can't run like I used to, everything hurts, especially my feet. Arthritis sux big time!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Another money making scheme for AKC.

I don't buy into all this stuff, I've just never seen the need to continually campaign a dog over and over and over and over.
UKC/HRC does the same scheme with the "free" jackets you get for 500, 1000, 1500 and 2,000 hunt test points. Thats $4.30 cents a finished point, just in entry fees alone. But you get a spiffy "free" jacket! :D

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
You know, I actually won a jacket one time at a horse show. Never wore it. It hung in my closet like an old trophy until I finally tossed it one year. LOL!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I won a jacket at a horse show and wore it to the barn. It didn't last two months before it was kaput, just wore out. Kinda ironic... :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
That's funny, 3 tails awaggin, I was thinking the same think. Money making for the AKC. I think,my dog, would get bored with it.

There are so many venues to register and show in to get titles I don't see the reason to do that. When we were at the Crown Classic in December, there was a woman and her dog in the Rally Excellent and Advanced B class that finished their 10th, RAE that day! My friends and I looked at each other and thought "good grief!" That's 200 rally classes assuming they always Q'd!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can see why some exhibitors compete with their dogs for ths same title multiple times e.g. RAE10, UDX7,etc. Some may get addicted and just want to see how far they can go and to maybe have the best dog in the nation for their breed in that title and/or bragging rights. Or it could also be that the dog and/or handler can't really do anything else well so they put their money into that venue. Also may be the case that the person is elderly so they are too old to really start a new dog because chances are the new dog would out live the handler and they'd not want to leave the dog behind and/or do not have the time to start a new dog because it does take awhile to train a UDX dog or an RAE dog.Therefore, the handler just does what they can with their companion and enjoy working together as a team. A lot of my fellow obedience and rally friends are retired so it is their dog handler team relationship that keeps them going...keeps them young :)

When I see a multiple titled dog in the ring like multiple RAE, UDX dog team I just stand in awe and tip my hat to them and acknowledge the journey they shared together to get there. If the dog didn't want to be there it would let their owner/handler know. My boy is only working on his CDX and believe me I know when his heart isn't in it...that is why we stopped at his RE because I felt like I was pushing him to do Rally. Obedience or tracking on the otherhand he lights up and goes to work!!! It is his little niche where we both have fun! He is not a 'high scoring' obedience dog but that is because I got a late start training him and I mess up sometimes as his handler :rolleyes: BUT we sure have a blast together. He is a velcro dog and his best thing in life is just being with me and making me happy....though like I said I can read through him and can tell when he is putting out effort on his own not just on my behalf. Though that is not to say that I let him run me...he still has to put out an effort as I do not let him walk all over me if he decides that playing would be more fun instead of working on an obedience exercise....it is about finding the balance in all things :)

Enjoying the journey with my Sandy Boy :D

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
That's funny, 3 tails awaggin, I was thinking the same think. Money making for the AKC. I think,my dog, would get bored with it.
That is part of the challenge! When competing for a UDX or OTCH and showing weekend after weekend, training day in and day out the challenge is in keeping it fun for you and the dog.

Yes, a lot of people do keep at it so they can gain national rankings. And yes it is a money maker for clubs and AKC, but look at all the agility titles people put on their dogs. I know some dogs whose agility title listing is longer than most names!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I don't see anything wrong at all with continuing to show. For me it's about having fun with my dog. If we both find showing fun and can afford it, why not continue to do it for as many years as we can? Titles and accomplishments aside, having a job keeps dogs young, I think.

My obedience instructor has a 13 year old border collie who still competes, despite having as many titles as the day is long. You would NEVER guess this dog is 13. He loves it, and she loves working with him, so I don't see any reason why they should stop.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I don't see anything wrong at all with continuing to show. For me it's about having fun with my dog. If we both find showing fun and can afford it, why not continue to do it for as many years as we can? Titles and accomplishments aside, having a job keeps dogs young, I think.

My obedience instructor has a 13 year old border collie who still competes, despite having as many titles as the day is long. You would NEVER guess this dog is 13. He loves it, and she loves working with him, so I don't see any reason why they should stop.
That's kinda my thinking, and having a title based on scores rather than placings is "easier/more fun" to obtain. It also (to me) builds a motivation for consistency and trying to work on those 1/2 point deductions that all of us have to deal with (crooked sits, fronts etc). There are a lot of shows that I have been to where even a 198 does not place. In the Obedience Master, you get the same points as someone who got first, even though with that score you did not come even close to placing.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Pretty much how I view it as well. I love training and showing my boy. He's a riot. Even when he screws up. I love when we are really working as a team and I know it is good. So fun

1 - 18 of 18 Posts