Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started a new round of beginners a handful of wks ago. Good class.

Two Lab sisters -- chocs. 4 months old. They're very cute but they're mouthy, both in terms of chewing and in terms of talking.

A Shiba. A Yorkie. Who will probably never use one ounce of what she's being taught, as she seems to be carried everywhere, but.. whatever.

And our instructor has asked me to tackle something a little out of the ordinary.

We've got a husb/wife team. I haven't met them yet. The wife has Muscular Distrophy and limited movement. The hubs travels, so they got a dog to keep her company. The dog is apparently too much for Mom to handle, so the idea is for me to teach the dog the basics, the instructor to teach Mom the basics separately, and then we squanch everything together.

That's the theory.

I haven't met the dog yet, either.

But.

It's a Labradoodle.

<<thud>>

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Wow. That sounds like a very worthwhile assignment! I think it's perfect for you. How rewarding will it be to synchronize these two to become a great team?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I think it's a great idea, and kudos to your club for wanting to help this couple. I do hope it works out for the best, please keep us updated!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Kudos to you Dan! The club & your instructor obviously think very highly of you & your abilities.

I say "go for it", as others have said, it sounds very rewarding & I think you would do well. Don't discount the pup just because it is a Labradoodle. I understand they are very intelligent dogs.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand they are very intelligent dogs.
That was the cause of my THUD.

I have never met one -- not ONE -- that wasn't as dumb as a box of rocks.

I'm up for the challenge, it'll sure be different. But if past experience is an indicator of future developments, I'm going to need to start from square one with this dog: Hey, Rover, the food goes in HERE and the poop comes out THERE!!!!

So how did it go ?
Our first mtg hasn't happened yet. Not sure if it's this Wed or next......

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Don't discount the pup just because it is a Labradoodle. I understand they are very intelligent dogs.
That will depend. I have a fried who paid a lot of money for a Labradoodle thinking she was getting an intelligent dog that didn't shed. Instead she got a hyper nut case that sheds like a Lab.
Hopefully for this family's sake that is not the case and good for you taking on this challenge.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Good luck, it will probably turn out to be a lot of fun and the owners will be especially grateful.

In theory labradoodles should be smart. 2 smart dogs breed, you should get smart puppies. The ones I have met have all been hyper, and a little to ADHDish to put into practice the things that they learn.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In theory labradoodles should be smart. 2 smart dogs breed, you should get smart puppies.
Lead obed instructor and I have talked about this a lot, stemming from when we first started seeing Doodles.

Our theory: The smarts coming from the Poodle side and the smarts coming from the Lab side cancel each other out.

Makes me scared for their futures, if each subsequent generation continues losing brain cells.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.