Just Labradors banner

Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells

1K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  Garth 
#1 ·
President Barack Obama said Monday he is allowing federal taxpayer dollars to fund significantly broader research on embryonic stem cells because "medical miracles do not happen simply by accident," and promised his administration would make up for the ground lost under his predecessor.

Fulfilling a campaign promise, Obama signed an executive order expected to set in motion increased research that supporters believe could uncover cures for serious ailments from diabetes to paralysis. Obama's action, before a packed East Room audience, reverses former President George W. Bush's policy on stem cell research by undoing a 2001 directive that banned federal funding for research into stem lines created after that date.

Full Story:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090309/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_stem_cells

#5 ·
I'll let you all have your fun and stay out of this thread......

#18 ·
I was thrilled when I read this. Maybe now at last, we can make some progress towards finding cures for so many diseases. For too long, these efforts have been hampered by a stupid incompetent prez who was too engrossed in his religion to care a **** about helping people who need it most. Just one example, Christopher Reeve.

I rest my case.

#23 ·
Why do people think that Federal funding is neccessary for any of this? Per the Washington Post the California state stem cell research has received over $150 million this year alone in funding for embryonic stem cell research. John Hopkins has received over $100 million this year alone for embryonic stem cell research. Those are just two facilities. Hundreds of millions of dollars (including state funding) has been pooring into this research for years and where is the cure?? People think that because the president did not support it this is the reason no cures have been found? Maybe our country wouldn't be mortgaging our children's futures if we didn't think all money had to come from the government? The Washington Post actually said the amount of private funds that has been pooring into this research for the past years has been breathtaking and no cure has been found? 20% of children in some developing nations die before the age of 5 because of lack of clean water. Huh, it seems to me rather than actually save lives that are easily saved we scream politics and throw good money after bad.

#26 ·
Why do people think that Federal funding is neccessary for any of this? Per the Washington Post the California state stem cell research has received over $150 million this year alone in funding for embryonic stem cell research. John Hopkins has received over $100 million this year alone for embryonic stem cell research. Those are just two facilities. Hundreds of millions of dollars (including state funding) has been pooring into this research for years and where is the cure?? People think that because the president did not support it this is the reason no cures have been found? Maybe our country wouldn't be mortgaging our children's futures if we didn't think all money had to come from the government? The Washington Post actually said the amount of private funds that has been pooring into this research for the past years has been breathtaking and no cure has been found? 20% of children in some developing nations die before the age of 5 because of lack of clean water. Huh, it seems to me rather than actually save lives that are easily saved we

I agree. I think we would all be a lot better off if we poored money into education.

#28 ·
Actually it is only about funding. The Bush policy was that federal funds were not available to stem cell research on new stem cell lines. If those facilities refused federal funds they were restricted in no way by the Bush administration. They could even receive state funding. And they received a significant amount of private funding.
As an aside, Bush funneled significantly more aid into Africa for AIDS medications than any previous administration. The basic medicine which has made AIDS managable to Americans has finally been offered to many African nations where the heart of the AIDS crisis is, saving a huge amount of lives.

#29 ·
it is not ONLY about funding, but if that's what you choose to believe then so be it.

and garth, christopher reeve was a great inspiration to me as i recuperated from my stroke. his book was the first i read once i was able to read again. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.