1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to TMZ...

Prez Pup Coming to Obama White House Tuesday
Posted Apr 11th 2009 9:30AM by TMZ Staff
We have lots of exclusive details on the Portuguese Water Dog President Barack Obama and Michelle are getting for Sasha and Malia. The pooch will make its grand entrance on Tuesday, and it's coming from a prominent Texas kennel, with the help of Senator Ted Kennedy's family.

The black dog -- a male -- is approximately six months old. We've learned it was bred at the kennel and sold to someone who gave it back. The kennel is now "re-homing" the dog to the Obamas. The dog was named Charlie, but the Obamas will rename it.

Now here's where the Kennedys come into play. The kennel has sold the Kennedys three Portuguese Water Dogs in the past, all from the same lineage. The dog the Obamas will be getting is from the same lineage as the Kennedy dogs. The Kennedy family will be presenting the new dog to the Obamas, but it's really coming from the kennel.

The reason this all sounds so technical is that there are issues regarding gifts to the Prez. The fact that the pup is being re-homed makes it all kosher.
I'm so glad it's not a labradoodle.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I'm glad it isn't a doodle, too! If it had been, that would have given the doodle breeders all the ammunition they need to ramp up their breeding of expensive mutts. :mad:

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I just hope every Tom **** and Harry don't decide now they want one cause they have one, we know what happens when a breed all of a sudden becomes very popular. :mad:

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I understand why any "breeds, breeders" would be upset that the president got "their kind of dog", because of the fall-out of other people wanting them, and PWD's certainly aren't for everyone, and there aren't enough breeders if lots of people wanted them, thus adding to BYD's, but I had done some research on the breed before Obama (for hypoallergenic dogs) and got the idea that they weren't too keen on ANYONE getting them ;)

·
Registered
10,719 Posts

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
The dog was named Charlie, but the Obamas will rename it.
Funny story behind that. They're going to rename him Bo. :rolleyes:

From the Washington Post:

Mr Obama's daughters chose the name Bo because first lady Michelle Obama's father was nicknamed Diddley, the newspaper reported.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25324305-38198,00.html

So I guess you could say he's going to be called Bo Diddley. I wonder if they'll get him singing lessons? :D

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
So I guess you could say he's going to be called Bo Diddley. I wonder if they'll get him singing lessons? :D
And get him a rectangle shaped 'lectric geetar.:D

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I'm delighted he's older too or there could be just a run on puppies period

1 - 13 of 13 Posts