Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They begin as a good sized chew toy. Good gnawing stuff. Solid teeth cleaners... boredom relievers.
But as we all know, they shrink in size over the months. A 7" bone becomes Stacey's blob of nylabone at her bedside to tear up her foot.

My question: Where does all that "nyla" GO?!? Are the dogs ingesting it? All that nylon is worse than rawhide, it would seem to me. Does their saliva just eat away at it to reduce its size? Even with that they are still swallowing it.

What do you think?

(Next time I buy one I will read what they are really made of... I'm just thinking "nyla" as in the plastic "nylon".)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay... just googled on "Nylabone composition"
It is a nylon. That can't be good for them, can it?!? :confused:

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I don't know that they actually ingest pieces, I think it's more like a stream wearing a stone smooth; it's more pressure and wearing that reshapes them, maybe miniscule particles just go away?

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
snowflake said:
Keep this in mind. We're talking about animals that eat poop!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AmazonGold said:
I don't know that they actually ingest pieces, I think it's more like a stream wearing a stone smooth; it's more pressure and wearing that reshapes them, maybe miniscule particles just go away?
I know, Jackie, but NYLON! It's not exactly biodegradable, is it.
If one of your guys swallowed up a pair of your pantyhose or tights you'd be running to the vet.
Yes?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
It goes right through. They can only get little grain sized pieces off, and it comes out the other end pretty much unchanged.

Baloo had a bright green toy that was made of similar stuff, there was no mistaking the green flecks in his poop. I don't hover... swear. :whistle:

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Baloo317 said:
It goes right through. They can only get little grain sized pieces off, and it comes out the other end pretty much unchanged.

Baloo had a bright green toy that was made of similar stuff, there was no mistaking the green flecks in his poop. I don't hover... swear. :whistle:
:laugh:

I think I remember seeing on the packaging that it is "virgin" nylon. Whatever that means. ?

As long as it's not breaking off in hunks, I *think* it just goes through the system unchanged. But that is a good ponderance...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
ginger and phoebe are definitely eat the shavings from the nylabone. ginger will sit there and pull the little pieces off with her front teeth. phoebe will then come around and pick up the pieces ginger missed on the doggy bed.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Well Gin is chewing one now.

Kate's right, it says right on the insert that small grain size pieces come off. They do get kinda sharp-ish too, no?

Anywho, considering Rhys (almost 8) ate a good sized piece of waxed cardboard this morniing, I won't worry much about the slivers of nylabone. ;)

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I agree. Would be more concerned about sharp pieces being swallowed, but they are very small pieces that come off. (Did you ever step on one of those things barefoot at night?)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Paddysmom said:
AmazonGold said:
I know, Jackie, but NYLON! It's not exactly biodegradable, is it.
If one of your guys swallowed up a pair of your pantyhose or tights you'd be running to the vet.
Yes?
Most defnitely! But, in the time it takes them to wear a Nylabone down (weeks to months), those tiny pieces traverse the uncharted interiors of the Lab body individually, not as a whole. If they were all together in one piece, as in tights or pantyhose, that would be a different story, because that could cause blockage. As long as they are small enough to continue passing without causing problems, I won't worry. Nylabones are one of the very few toys they get, and I can't even think of taking them away.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
AngusFangus said:
I think I remember seeing on the packaging that it is "virgin" nylon. Whatever that means. ?
Virgin nylon means it's never been used to manufacture anything else - like pop bottles can be recycled into other things when done. What that means to our dogs is that the material is brand new and hasn't come into contact with any other substances either in or on it - keeping it pure plastic - which, Baloo is right, just passes thru in small hunks...

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
windsor said:
I have seen Fanny eat one of those, a big one, in a matter of a half an hour! So she doesn't get them anymore.
Same with Thunder...gone, poof in a very short time. No more for my dogs. I stick with the frozen marrow bones now.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. I hadn't considered the "rite of passage" explanation. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Interesting thing to ponder. It takes Tal and Barney several months to really destroy one so the pieces have to be very small. I don;t really worry too much about it. If they devoured it like they do stuffed toys though, they would get no more though! I guess I will just have to order them because the Wal Mart and grocery store here don't have them in stock anymore :( I need to get some more frozen bones with marrow too. Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
windsor said:
I have seen Fanny eat one of those, a big one, in a matter of a half an hour! So she doesn't get them anymore.
A durable Nylabone, one of the hard ones??? Not the edible kind, or the soft rubber - the really hard ones. She EATS them?!?!? :surprise:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts