Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preferably Manhattan I want reasonably priced, CLEAN, and walking distance/subway to attractions. I need your recs. I have only ever stayed with relatives who have since moved (plus, it's for our anniversary, so I don't really want company, if you know what I mean).

Thanks in advance, guys!

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Whatever you do, don't stay at Hotel Carter.

Dirtiest hotels in US?
by David Wilkening via Travelmole.com

Saturday Mar 22, 2008

TripAdvisor chose its 2008 worst hotels, selected by members as "beyond scummy," and the Hotel Carter in New York City came up in first place.

"On inspection the room was dirty, the sheets were not fresh and there was obvious evidence of vermin. It was on entering the bathroom when we decided to leave due to a filthy toilet and a dirty pair of ladies’ briefs hanging on the wall," writes one critic.

In its explanation to "save you from hotel hell," TripAdvisor mentioned these as the top ten to avoid:

Ramada Niagara Falls, Niagara Falls, NY ; Nashville - Days Inn Vanderbilt / Music Row, Nashville, TN; Red Carpet Inn, Fort Lauderdale, FL; Regency Inn & Suites, New York, NY; St. Augustine Beachfront Resort, Saint Augustine, FL; Travel Inn Civic/Medical Center, Miami, FL; Eden Roc Motel, Wildwood, NJ’; Days Inn Lancaster, Lancaster, PA; and Pacific Sands Motel, Santa Monica, CA.

The 700-room Hotel Carter on West 43rd street in Times Square earned the No. 1 spot for the third straight year. Guests tell of bedbugs, bad bathrooms and even the body of a woman found under a bed.

If it’s any consolation, the average price of rooms at the Hotel Carter is only $107, a genuine bargain in a city where the average price of a "zero star" hotel is $162, according to Priceline. com

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
eastcoastmom said:
dweck said:
This is my favorite hotel in Midtown. It's tony, of course, but I'm thinking that at this time of year in this economy, there are probably deals to be had...

http://www.millenniumhotels.com/millenniumnewyork/index.html
That is beautiful, but $350 CAD per night is more than I want to spend. Thanks though!
Stadard rms are showing @ $219/night, US. Fairly cheap for NYC. And if you called, I'd bet anything that that rate becomes negotiable......

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dweck said:
eastcoastmom said:
dweck said:
This is my favorite hotel in Midtown. It's tony, of course, but I'm thinking that at this time of year in this economy, there are probably deals to be had...

That is beautiful, but $350 CAD per night is more than I want to spend. Thanks though!
Stadard rms are showing @ $219/night, US. Fairly cheap for NYC. And if you called, I'd bet anything that that rate becomes negotiable......
Huh, I must not have seen those rooms. Thanks. I am hoping to keep it at around $250 CAD/night...that would be perfect! I'll look again. =)

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
I stayed at the Double Tree right in Times Square.. really nice place.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Clean, you say? Hmmmm. I hate staying in NYC. When I go, I usually check Tripadvisor to try to find something on the Upper East Side off Central Park. There are a lot of boutique hotels up there that occasionally have deals, and tend to be cleaner and better value than the big hotels around Times Square.* You'd be near Zabar's (yay!) and about equidistant to Times Square/uptown museums.

I've never gone wrong with Tripadvisor. It was how I found this wonderful place:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ews-Schrute_Farms-Honesdale_Pennsylvania.html

*P.S. Hope you don't mind climbing over the bed to get to the bathroom.

·
Registered
21,292 Posts
eastcoastmom said:
dweck said:
eastcoastmom said:
dweck said:

Huh, I must not have seen those rooms. Thanks. I am hoping to keep it at around $250 CAD/night...that would be perfect! I'll look again. =)
I can't afford that T ! I'm not paying you that much !! :=)

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
This has got to be a trick question . Who in the world wants to stay in NYC ? :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Personally, I usually look for something rentable rather than hotels now when we go on vacation. I've had wonderful luck with Vacation Rentals By Owner and (shockingly) Craigslist. VRBO has a ton of stuff in Manhattan - look spretty reasonable if you want to check it out:
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/new-york/new-york-city/manhattan

Not sure how they'll feel aboot getting your canadian money ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.