Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nutro users read this: I called Nutro....again. Got another explanation!!!!

Okay, I called Nutro a few days ago with this rice protein problem showed up, because both my LPB food and our Basset's food (both Nutro) have rice in it. They said, and I loosely quote, "Our food has rice gluten, not rice protein. Rice gluten and rice protein are not the same thing."

Now, this is on their website:

(1) It has been reported that the recall is focused on products containing rice protein concentrate (also referred to as rice gluten) provided by Wilbur-Ellis Company.

(2) Nutro has never purchased or used rice protein concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis Company in any of our pet foods.

(3) Nutro uses rice protein concentrate in some of its products because it provides an important alternative source of protein for pets, especially for those with sensitivities to certain proteins.

(4) Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc. is not in any way affiliated with Nutro Products nor Nutro’s Natural Choice®, MAX® or Ultra® brands.

NOW....they say that rice protein and rice gluten ARE the same thing and that it actually is in their foods!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!! They assured me, however, that they do not get their rice protein from this wilbur-ellis company that has the contaminated batch. They said that they are thoroughly researching all of their vendors to make sure their rice protein is not coming from the same source. They also said the FDA is all over their a$$ about this and monitoring everything they do.

Now what????? Do we continue to feed any food with rice protein in it, no matter where it comes from? Is this something I want to risk?

And now there's the corn gluten thing. Their food also has corn gluten. I'm about ready to just give them Cheerios for the rest of their lives. :mad:

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Re: Nutro users read this: I called Nutro....again. Got another explanation!!!!

Nutro can never get their stories straight which is why I would never feed their foods again.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts

WHAT?! Nutro is having problems with their food now?! *&^#*#%@%
I think I'm going to switch to Purina One or Proplan. Laura, you feed proplan, right?

I hate this. :(

·
Registered
16,679 Posts

That's ridiculous!!!

We switched Abby and Molly off of Nutro almost a year and a half ago. Now they're both on ProPlan Selects and they're both doing really great on it!

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

We feed Pro Plan... Emma- chicken and beef, Aidan just the beef. And Im very happy with how the dogs look and feel.
I trust Purina.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I don't think y'all understood my post. It's not Nutro. It's not Pro Plan. It's not any manufacturer. It's the GLUTEN!!! And they all have gluten....or at least most of them. First it was the wheat gluten....now it's the rice gluten. And just yesterday, something came out about corn gluten in S. Africa.

It's something that they are using in the gluten (the stuff that holds the food together) that is contaminated with that melamine stuff (or whatever they call it). I think it depends on where their manufacturer get the gluten from. Or I at least hope that's it. Somehow, some contaminated gluten has crept into our country. All we can hope is that Nutro or Pro Plan or whatever doesn't get their gluten from any contaminated sources!

So before you say one food is safe over the other, you need to check the ingredients. And yes, Pro Plan has gluten in it!!! Just like Nutro and a bunch of others.

Very confusing. And very scarey. :mad:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts

Rice has no gluten in it in the first place, so how can Nutro products have rice gluten?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

kiddsmom said:
Rice has no gluten in it in the first place, so how can Nutro products have rice gluten?
I have no idea. But it definitely has rice gluten listed in the ingredients for LPB lamb and rice, and others. Here's the list of ingredients for the LPB lamb and rice:

Ingredients
Lamb Meal, Rice Flour, Rice Gluten, Rice Bran, Ground Rice, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Soybean Oil, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Garlic, Manganous Oxide, Chondroitin Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), L-Carnitine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

·
Registered
557 Posts

I feed ProPlan LBP and that has rice in it but it says brewers rice, is that the same thing?

·
Registered
16,679 Posts

I only mentioned it because Amy said something about switching. I should have mentioned why I said it.The ProPlan Selects doesn't have gluten in it...at least it's not listed so I hope it's not in there. We feed the Salmon and Brown Rice formula.

·
Registered
557 Posts

AbbyandMolly said:
I only mentioned it because Amy said something about switching. I should have mentioned why I said it.The ProPlan Selects doesn't have gluten in it...at least it's not listed so I hope it's not in there. We feed the Salmon and Brown Rice formula.
Yea, but what I feed has brewers rice and corn gluten meal. Is this something to worry about? or is what they are recalling something different?

·
Registered
16,679 Posts

That's a good question, but I don't know.

This whole recall is enough to make a person's head spin...exorcist style (lol)

·
Registered
557 Posts

yea I agree, this whole thing makes me stress out way too much. I think Im just gonna stick with this food until I hear that proplan specifically is being recalled. thanks

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Geez....I'm certainly no chemist or expert on this. I've just called them a couple of times and read a lot on it. But from what I gather, just having rice is not a problem. It's the protein or gluten that's the problem....and then it's only a problem if they get it from a contaminated source (aka China).

I agree. It's all enough to make you dizzy trying to keep up with it all.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts

Who want to go take a chemistry class with me?! :p

<insert spinning head here>

·
Registered
12,586 Posts

Man, no kidding about the chemistry class ::) Who knew we would need to know this kind of stuff to be able to just make a simple safe choice about dog food? :-\

·
Registered
440 Posts

BrownDog20 said:
I feed ProPlan LBP and that has rice in it but it says brewers rice, is that the same thing?
Purina uses "Brewer's Rice" in Pro Plan. Brewer's Rice is essentially the same as whole rice except the kernels are broken and are not astetically pleasing to people- who prefer to see nice, long unbroken kernels. The reason it's called "Brewer's" Rice is because brewer's can get these broken pieces for cheaper than whole pieces and, therefore, it became known as "Brewer's Rice" because of the majority of the people/companies that purchased it. So, Brewer's Rice is not something that's been altered like Rice Protein.

So far, there's only been mention of a problem with Corn Gluten Meal in South Africa, and I believe it was specifically with Royal Canin foods in that region. Is there a reason to be concerned? Yes, but I wouldn't panic as of yet.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

Technically there is no rice or corn gluten, but it is a common name and people recognize it. concentrated rice or corn protien is the same thing as rice or corn gluten. wheat gluten is technically gluten but I supose it could be called concentrated wheat protein but I have never heard it refered as that.
I checked and Cheerios do NOT contain any concentrated protiens or glutens. however since dogs don't need carbs and they are almost entirely carbs they might not be the best diet.. ;)
I would love to see a label on a dog food that either listed the country of origin for every ingredient..or said that all ingredients originated in the US.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
3,373 Posts

LabLady101 said:
So far, there's only been mention of a problem with Corn Gluten Meal in South Africa, and I believe it was specifically with Royal Canin foods in that region. Is there a reason to be concerned? Yes, but I wouldn't panic as of yet.
Royal Canin US is pulling their stock: http://www.royalcanin.us/

·
Registered
440 Posts

kiddsmom said:
LabLady101 said:
Royal Canin US is pulling their stock: http://www.royalcanin.us/
Yes, but they are pulling their Sensible Choice because of RPC, not Corn Gluten Meal- which is my point of not to panicing about the Corn Gluten Meal in the US just yet. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts