Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I met a woman who works at the FDA when I went to the supermarket last week. She was trying to clean up an open bag of Beneful. I thought she was buying it and told her not to. We started to talk about dog food and she said that FDA has found Melamine in every dog food except Purina. She said that is the only brand she buys. Interesting.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Does this mean I should stop feeding Chicken Soup by Diamond? Should I start switching Nellie?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Ugh. That's horrible. My sister (works at a vet clinic) says they have a lot of people who bring their pets in who are sick and on Nutro and as soon as they switch diet the pets are much better.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's working for you Danie, I wouldn't switch yet. Did she say when was the last time she found it in a Diamond product?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had someone on one of the JL boards a few years ago who switched to Nutro and suddenly their dog started having seizures. They were frantic and reported it here wondering what to do. I told them to get the dog off the smurfin' food and call Nutro.

Nutro of course denied any problems. The dog stopped having seizures once they switched foods.

Things that make you go HMMMM.....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I met a woman who works at the FDA when I went to the supermarket last week. She was trying to clean up an open bag of Beneful. I thought she was buying it and told her not to. We started to talk about dog food and she said that FDA has found Melamine in every dog food except Purina. She said that is the only brand she buys. Interesting.
Do you know for sure she worked for the FDA? Heck, she could have been a Purina employee.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
If it's working for you Danie, I wouldn't switch yet. Did she say when was the last time she found it in a Diamond product?
The testing was done after the China problem.

Kiddsmon you are too cynical. I live about a mile from FDA headquarters. She has 3 dobermans and a mutt.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts

I'd have to ask for more info (preferably an official FDA report) also... Sorry, but EVERY as in every brand, every formula on the market?
Anne

·
Registered
836 Posts
Walmart used to donate their broken bags of Nutro to me for the rescue dogs. After about 6 months of using it on and off I decided it was causing the vomiting that was an occasional problem. I told them thanks, but they could donate it to some other rescue from then on.

They where bought by a different company a few years ago, and seemed to get even worse then.

Like Laura said, Iwouldn't use it and I did get it for free.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Is there any other news story or report on this investigation other than that consumer affairs site? Every story or report I could find is either that site or a report that quote only that site.

Before I got all worried, I think I would want more confirmation. Anyone have other confirmation, like maybe something from the FDA itself?

And I'm not defending Nutro. I don't feed mine Nutro. I would just like to see if anyone else at all is reporting this investigation.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Egads...I don't use that, but now I am starting to wonder about dog food in general. Besides raw diet, I personally couldn't handle that, what do we feed?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I took my guys off Nutro years ago (OMG I wonder if that had anything to do with Sammy getting so ill?!?!). Purina now, for years. :)

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
What Nutro says:

http://www.nutroproducts.com/nutro-food-recall-facts.shtml#affairs

Question: Are the claims made on ConsumerAffairs.com about a NUTRO® FDA investigation and dogs eating Nutro and experiencing health issues true?

Answer: On April 20, ConsumerAffairs.com posted a story claiming that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has an ongoing investigation into NUTRO® pet food. This is not true. We have confirmed with the FDA’s division responsible for regulating pet food, the Center for Veterinary Medicine, that there is no current or ongoing investigation of Nutro Products, Inc.

We want to assure our consumers, associates, retailers, and all those who feed NUTRO® products to their pets that our products are safe and conform to the standards set by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the U.S Department of Agriculture and the Association of American Feed Control Officials. All NUTRO® products undergo rigorous quality assurance testing beginning with raw ingredients and ending with testing finished products. This includes testing to confirm that no melamine, mold toxins, or pathogenic bacteria are detected in any NUTRO® pet foods.

For the past year, ConsumerAffairs.com, an “independent Web-based consumer news and resource center,” not affiliated with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission or Consumer Reports, has been selectively posting consumer complaints and authoring its own statements that draw false links between isolated instances of illness and death among pets, and the consumption of NUTRO® pet food products.

In February of 2009, a ConsumerAffairs.com posting alleged that a class action lawsuit against Nutro Products in relation to pet health issues was being researched by a law firm. We have not received notification of a class action lawsuit against Nutro Products.

In June of 2008, ConsumerAffairs.com falsely claimed that NUTRO® pet foods may have been the cause of pet health issues in a number of specific cases. In an August 2008 update to that posting, ConsumerAffairs.com reported that ASCPA veterinary toxicologist, Dr. Steven Hansen, concluded after an in depth review that the complaints appear to be random, non-pet food related health issues.

While consumer concerns about NUTRO® product quality are rare, we take every complaint seriously. When we learn of an issue, we work with consumers to obtain information and request that samples of any product in question be submitted for testing at an independent facility. An in-depth review is performed to determine if an issue does exist. Consumers with questions or concerns about NUTRO® products are encouraged to contact our Consumer Services Department at 1-800-833-5330.

Nutro Products, Inc. remains committed to the quality, safety and performance of all our pet food brands. As we have for over 80 years, we strive to deliver the finest natural products to our customers and their pets.

All I can find on the FDA site were a few recalls from last summer

ETA: from an independent news source:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/stor...to-NUTRO-Pet-Food/hOoE48nKOkORqDNodwN3EQ.cspx

(WXYZ) - There has been a lot of web buzz about an article posted on Consumer Affairs' web site regarding the safety of Nutro Pet Food. Action News has talked with the Food and Drug Administration and they insist there is no "investigation" underway.

An FDA spokesperson says, "Normally, we do not confirm or deny the existence of an investigation. In this situation, though, it's unfair to the company to leave the implication out there, so I want to state that there is NO INVESTIGATION currently underway into NUTRO products."

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'd have to ask for more info (preferably an official FDA report) also... Sorry, but EVERY as in every brand, every formula on the market?
Anne
Yeah I'm going to have to highly doubt that companies that use only US-sourced ingredients and have their own plants - and claim to have never tested positive for melamine and were never involved in the recall are probably okay. (Natura, Eagle up until it was bought last year)

Perhaps she meant all the supermarket foods? (Which generally are all manufactured at the same place)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
All I can find on the FDA site were a few recalls from last summer

ETA: from an independent news source:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story...DNodwN3EQ.cspx

(WXYZ) - There has been a lot of web buzz about an article posted on Consumer Affairs' web site regarding the safety of Nutro Pet Food. Action News has talked with the Food and Drug Administration and they insist there is no "investigation" underway.

An FDA spokesperson says, "Normally, we do not confirm or deny the existence of an investigation. In this situation, though, it's unfair to the company to leave the implication out there, so I want to state that there is NO INVESTIGATION currently underway into NUTRO products."
That's exactly what I found also. I could find nothing from any reliable source about any FDA investigation, including the FDA itself. I don't feed Nutro any longer, but I didn't switch because of safety concerns or even because I didn't like it. This consumeraffairs.com site should be shut down. Why is it that they are the ONLY place you can find these claims?

Anybody can post anything on a website and make any claims they want to. But if the problem is that rampant, it will be on other websites and come from other news sources as well.

Again, I'm not defending Nutro. I'm just don't like to see any company so slandered like this.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
http://www.nutroproducts.com/nutro-food-recall-facts.shtml

On April 20, ConsumerAffairs.com posted a story claiming that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has an ongoing investigation into NUTRO® pet food. This is not true. We have confirmed with the FDA’s division responsible for regulating pet food, the Center for Veterinary Medicine, that there is no current or ongoing investigation of Nutro Products, Inc.

my nutritionist (well Sally's -if truth be told I live on Diet coke and crap food) actually called the FDA yesterday to confirm this as well ..

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I'm not a Nutro feeder but I am glad to see that someone got to the bottom of this. I really hate to see *any* company get blacklisted unfairly by a bad egg, and just as bad, in that process cause undue worry to those who have been feeding it successfully.

I think this consumer site was the same site that posted complaints (from a handful of folks w/ undocumented claims) over Canidae last year when they changed formulas. One of the local dog food reps for a pyramid type company had a hay-day over it and managed to scare the beejeezies out of several of my puppy owners and friends too. How fun that was. :(

Thank you Kaytris. Anne

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Yeah I'm going to have to highly doubt that companies that use only US-sourced ingredients and have their own plants - and claim to have never tested positive for melamine and were never involved in the recall are probably okay. (Natura, Eagle up until it was bought last year)

Perhaps she meant all the supermarket foods? (Which generally are all manufactured at the same place)

Eagle is still owned by a reputable company (Wellpet) which also makes the Wellness line.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts