Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is really sad to think of all the possible dead and or sick dogs and cats that this series of recalls has caused.

Update 4/19, 7:56 a.m. PT: 4,346 pets have been reported as deceased to our PetConnection database. Of these, 2,233 are cats, and 2,113 are dogs. These are self-reported numbers, and should be in no way be considered confirmed or "official." But if even a fraction can be confirmed, they show deaths far exceeding the FDA's count of 16 pets, most of whom died in a manufacturers feeding trial.

Other sources also support higher numbers, including state numbers from the Oregon State Public Health Veterinarian (45 dead, April 18) and the Michigan State Veterinary Association (52 dead, April 16), as well as a sampling of all U.S. and Canadian veterinarians from the independent Veterinary Information Network. The Veterinary Information Network sets a range for probable deaths at 2,000 to 7,000, based on survey of VIN member veterinarians.

The FDA has reported that they have recieved over 16,000 calls of sick or deceased pets, but they haven't started confirming any of them yet.

March 17th is certainly a day that has since changed my beleif in how safe pet foods are. I haave learned more about grains and dog food and production and global markets and how government works and how the FDA works.
I also notice alot more people are now reading labels and learning about what is in that bag of kibble and where it came from than ever before. Even if we take 16,000 as the number of pets affected, the good news is it is only 1 out of 10,000 pets in the US that is affected. I hope we have finally turned the corner on the recalls.

Prayers and good thoughts go out to all the animals and owners.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I think the manufacturer's numbers are way off....and maybe the self reported ones are high but...how many people never put 2 and 2 together and attirbuted their pet's death to the food? Or don't have the means or access to be able to report it. Many, I would imagine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am sure it is higher than they report. :mad:

I know someone whose best friend's pet died. It was a cat who ate Science Diet. :(

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is obviously higher than the 16 reported by FDA and Menu foods. One of the proposals is to have a CDC for animals. A central reporting agency that vets would report disease to. This would likely have caught this whole event much sooner and it would have been able to track numbers much better. This would also help to protect our food supply and us from some things like avian flu etc..
Not to scare anyone but this cold have just as easily gotten into the human food chain. They don't check for Melamine in human foods because it is something that should never be there, they only check for things like natural bacteria and viruses and other common problems. it took them over a week to find it after they sent a sample to multiple labs and they still aren't quite sure if it is melamine that is causing the deaths or different things and Melamine is just a marker.

Kelly and Amber

1 - 4 of 4 Posts