Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have read quite a few stories of problems with many of the NSAIDs. And quite honestly I have some fear from reading them. I do think that statistically the risk is low. Every med you give take or give your pet has a risk even some something seemingly as inert an aspirin. I know alot of people who have used rimadyl long term and would gladly tell anyone how it has given their dog a new lease on life, yet searching the internet will provide you plenty of horror stories.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
as eric said, i was one that used rimadyl in two of my labs years ago and it gave them a better life. i had them tested every few months or liver or kidney problems and nothing ever surfaced. as with people, i think it all depends on the dog.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I agree with Bearsdad. I was a big opponent of Rimadyl until I had a dog that needed pain relief - and it was amazingly effective. I don't know that I would happily keep a dog on it long term - but I do know people who have successfully.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I was just alarmed that they gave me Rimadyl without even discussing ANYTHING about it with me... Just said "okay here's the pain meds and antibiotics"
No - I never had a vet mention any concerns about Rimadyl - I am not surprised yours did not warn you of potential danger.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm just thankful that everything is fine with her and now I know better from now on.

That article brought up a point about the cost differences and the "incentives" that the companies give the vet offices for pushing their product. :eek: That made me mad!!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
My vet does not prescibe Rimadyl or something like that without doing a liver panel. She also always sends home an information sheet on side effects, what to look for, etc. Right now Reggie is on a short course (14 days) to see if it helps him (so far, nothing to speak of).

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
How tragic. I can only imagine how awful they must be feeling.

I have given Tal and Barney Rimadyl without incident. No problems. I will ask in the future about any possible sides, but they seem to handle it well. Of course, the treatment was for no longer than a week, so no long term therapy.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Well I'm just thankful that everything is fine with her and now I know better from now on.

That article brought up a point about the cost differences and the "incentives" that the companies give the vet offices for pushing their product. :eek: That made me mad!!
Do you not think people doctors do this too??? Of course! The pharmaceuticals industry is not about saving lives, it's about turning a buck. And that's for people or animals.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
as eric said, i was one that used rimadyl in two of my labs years ago and it gave them a better life. i had them tested every few months or liver or kidney problems and nothing ever surfaced. as with people, i think it all depends on the dog.

I have to agree with you 100% on this.. I was nervous about using Rimadyl at first too... Indy has been on a combination of Rimadyl (Novox) and tramadol (Ultram) for about 5 years now... Without these, he would have to be PTS because he couldnt tolerate the pain... with them, he functions as normally as he can, even acting like a goofy puppy sometimes with wanting to wrestle and play...... But as you said, GET THEM TESTED... we get bloodwork every 4-6 months (I vary this with the amounts of the pills I give, in the winter he gets more, summer he is able to take less, the less I use, then I go closer to 6 months for the tests, the more I use than I go in 4 months)....

But I do think every dog is different...for some if could be a death sentence, but for others, like my Old guy, it a salvation to stay with his loving family longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.