Just Labradors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we went to the sister-in-law's place today, and Harley had his play date, he also got into a bit of a scuffle with his friend Jack over the food bowl. There was a lot of barking and you could tell it was a fight, but it didn't last more than a few seconds and Harley came running into me and everything calmed down pretty quick. I thought nothing more of it However, when we were laying on the bed playing with Harlkey tonight, I noticed his eye was a little puffy and looking closer, the skin had actually been broken. If it had been half an inch up, Harley wouldn't have had an eye anymore.

Should I not take Harley over there anymore? Jack has never liked guys, but until the food bowl incident, he and Harley were geting along great. After, they kept to themselves and Harley hardly even left my side, but there was no aggression from any quarter.

Also, how worried should I be about the cut becoming infected? I plan on taking him in just to have it checked out, but I am a little worried...

Kevin

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
HK also died from an incident like you described the day we brought her home and my son's 6 year old Lab was at the house. That is a long story, but first the wound and then behavior correction.

If your dog has one wound that you found, look for a second wear the other jaw would have clamped on your dog. Opposite side, under the mouth, wherever. Do you have any topical antiseptic to put on the wound to prevent infection. You can try to clean it out and apply some antiseptic cream yourself or have a vet take a look.

Okay! The problem we had was food aggression by the older dog. Sounds like you may have experienced the same thing. HK and Newman are now best friends and can be fed next to each other without incident.

When at the same location, NO FOOD OR EDIBLE (in a dogs mind) can be present. Food, treats, bones, rawhides, or anything that had them in it, such as peanut butter in a Kong.

Treat then only at the same time. We had each sit on opposite sides and get a treat at the same time. They stay closely supervised until the treat is consumed.

Feeding if needed when together. At the same time in different rooms or opposite sides of the same room. Someone has to be between them and neither can visit the other until food is gone and bowls are up. Slowly over time move the bowls closer together, still supervised. Supervisor must pay attention and be in good position to prevent incident. Not correct incident, prevent incident. It can happen really fast.

HK and Newman were together a couple times a month, and occasionally for a weekend or week at a time. By the time a year was over, we could feed them with their bowls only a couple feet apart and without supervision. Today, 2 years later, we feed them together without watching them. Neither will approach the other when the other is eating. When both are finished they will each check out the others bowl and make sure no crumbs were left.

You had one incident. I would treat it as a warning and go through the discipline that I outlined. Neither you nor your sister in law wants to see either dog injured.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts