Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 2 guns in the house...neither of which we own or are registered to us. My SIL brought them over when her (working on being ex-) husband threatened to shoot up the house. She doesn't want to be a statistic - and didn't want him threatening this type of stuff - or carrying thru with it - with an 8 yr old in the house.

I know we did the right thing to "hide" these guns from him - but what are my legal responsibilities here? Should I contact the sheriff and let him know about the guns and why they are there - or just go with out of sight, out of mind...

know issue with SIL is a whole nother issue too...

G

·
I do not believe that any gun has to be registered to you for you to legally own it. (example: inherited from grandpa)

For safety, if you don't have a gun cabinet or lock box (for handguns) you could go out and buy locks that prevent the trigger from being pulled.

Edit to add: It should be an easy thing these days to search for the local gun laws in your area.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Good question, but I don't have an answer. Maybe she should have turned them into the sheriff along with a report of the threat?? Or are they her guns and she doesn't want to get rid of them?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't have the answer but I agree with the pp--she should probably go to the police dept and file a report with them and let them know that the guns are with you. The most important thing is reporting the threat and having that documented. If she ever needs to get a restraining order she will have a paper trail of his threats.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
First of all get trigger locks ASAP. Second of all check with a county attorney or even a local gun club for your particular gun laws.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
BoatDog said:
I currently have 2 guns in the house...neither of which we own or are registered to us. My SIL brought them over when her (working on being ex-) husband threatened to shoot up the house. She doesn't want to be a statistic - and didn't want him threatening this type of stuff - or carrying thru with it - with an 8 yr old in the house.

I know we did the right thing to "hide" these guns from him - but what are my legal responsibilities here? Should I contact the sheriff and let him know about the guns and why they are there - or just go with out of sight, out of mind...

know issue with SIL is a whole nother issue too...
I vote just get rid of it.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Not sure what your legal responsibilities are, but I think you can get in trouble for having weapons not registered to you...at the very least it could cause some problems if they're ever discovered. I'd call an attorney or ask the police department what to do.

G

·
labs4life said:
First of all get trigger locks ASAP. Second of all check with a county attorney or even a local gun club for your particular gun laws.

I agree on the trigger locks. You can call the sheriffs office and ask them. I am sure they will answer any and all questions. If you do not want them in your house, then turn them over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts