Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that the husband of a dog-park friend died suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack. She and I have been talking to each other at least three times a week for several years, but honestly I don't really know that much about her. We talk about our dogs, politics, local events...but not personal things. She is a very kind and generous person, though, the kind of person who would go way out of her way to do something for you. I know that she and her husband were married for at least 40 years. :(

We want to be able to do something nice for her, but I'm unsure of what. In my (Irish-Catholic) household, the automatic answer for all deaths is just sending over giant plates of food. In my experience, this is nice but often unneeded and most of it gets thrown away. You guys are really smart about this stuff. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
A nice sympathy card and a note that she should let you know if you can do something to help would be nice. She may or may not need anything or be willing to ask, but she will appreciate it.

Also just continue to be her friend, she may need that more than anything else right now.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
If you know how to contact her, where she lives, I would try to make a stop and maybe find another family memeber there that might be able to tell what she could use. Of course, a card, a visit, and any kind of small gift would be wonderful.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I've always liked the idea of making a contribution to an appropriate charity in someone's memory (or honor). Although that might be a little tricky if you don't really know them well.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Offer to take her dog(s) to the park for her when she doesn't feel up to it, offer to help her do repairs around the house when and if they come up.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I card would be nice & a contribution to a charity in her husband's name. If they are dog lovers, maybe a local shelter.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Offer to take her dog(s) to the park for her when she doesn't feel up to it, offer to help her do repairs around the house when and if they come up.

great idea!!!! and most importantly, be there weeks from now when the masses have left and the lonliness and reality sets in.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I like Jackie's idea, as well as the tree in the park idea. However, call me traditional, but I still like sending a card & flowers/plant.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
There are a couple of really good suggestions here:

- offer to take her pup to the DP, especially now when she might not be feeling up to it.

- offer to take care of some repairs or some other little thing that needs done.

- have a tree planted at the DP in her hubby's memory.

- be there when the masses have gone.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
That's tough, Nathan. :( I know how it feels, almost like anything will be insignificant. Though, I am sure, anything you do will be highly appreciated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts