Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old pup loves bully sticks and yesterday she was chewing one (a 7 inch stick) and got it down to half it's original size. Normally when they get this small I throw them out because she can fit the whole thing in her mouth when it's that little and I don't want her to choke. Well I don't remember throwing it out and now I can't find it! I know bully sticks are digestible but I wonder, did she swallow it and was it a pretty big piece if she did? I'm concerned about obstruction. So far today she has eaten and pooped like normal. What signs should I be looking for in case there is an obstruction? I feel like such a bad mom!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I would just watch her it's amazing what they can pass and digest. Do a search on here for obstructions hopefully you can find the symptoms, I'm not for sure what all they are. I wouldn't freak just keep an eye on her.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy are big ones.

if she continues to have normal bowel movements and isn't throwing up, i wouldn't worry about it. Gabby often eats the whole thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You're not a bad mom!!! Children, even fur children, can be hard to police 24/7. Don't freak out yet. If it makes you feel any better, last week our 13 week old puppy ate an entire leather shoelace. We didn't know until she passed it. She also ate an earplug, and passed that too. We're being extra cautious now.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I felt that way once, when Marlan ate a whole bird wing on a walk. HE was about the same age as your pup. I called the vet, totally freaking out, and the said - "he's a lab, keep an eye on his stools, it'll pass". Don't feel bad. It is often hard to control what they eat. Check out the post in Lab Chat about the entire squirrel that one lab ate!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't worry - my lab has eaten everything except the kitchen sink - and that's only because it was attached to the cabinet! If you notice any type of bloating in the tummy area - that is cause for concern. Usually they pass whatever they eat. My beagle mix ate a plastic grocery bag - I don't know how or where she got it - but it was amazing to see it come out of her butt in one piece.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts