Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01302009/news/regionalnews/survivors_gilt_152720.htm

So basically they all got $5000 right away to cover expenses of lost luggage etc. and they still have the ability to ask for more (I assume they can submit a claim saying their luggage and whatever was in it was worth more). And they got this preferred status for a year.

Now... I dunno. It's not like the airline was negligent... it was a freak accident. The fact no one died or got seriously injured was chance and awesome skills of the pilot. I don't get what more they want other than their lost luggage reimbursed and any medical expenses reimbursed?

It seems to me it's just a case of "let's sue and see what the maximum we can get!" Am I missing something?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
This was just that an accident, albeit a freak one.

That whole situation could have ended in a much more catastrophic way, but thanks to a well-trained pilot, they all walked away from it.

You are not missing a **** thing. Them saying ""let's sue and see what the maximum we can get!" is pure & simply GREED!!! It is probably being pushed along by some siren chasing attorney who is looking to make a media name for him/herself.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I don't get it either. It was not negligence but an freak accident. They all could have been killed if not for the skill of the pilot & crew. Greed sure can make people turn ugly.
:(

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Ender's Mom said:
Am I missing something?
Not likely, except some ambulance chasing lawyers are in on it.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I think unscrupulous lawyers are probably involved, but I think it goes deeper than that. I think people have forgotten the fact that life carries risks, no matter how safe you try to be.

It makes me sad to see that after all the relief that EVERYONE felt when it was seen that noone was seriously injured has so quickly turned into a quest to make money.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
What a bunch of miserable low-lifes. They should just be thankful to be alive. Any lawyer or passenger who tries to sue the airlines should be taken out and publicly tattooed with the word 'GREED' on their foreheads.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
kaisdad said:
What a bunch of miserable low-lifes. They should just be thankful to be alive. Any lawyer or passenger who tries to sue the airlines should be taken out and publicly tattooed with the word 'GREED' on their foreheads.
Yer too easy going my friend, I had darker thoughts, involving telagraph poles and/or cottonwood trees.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
I'd be tickled with my luggage & medical expenses! .I wouldn't have had $5000 of stuff in my luggage anyway, and my health care is free here, so I would have been doing a happy-dance. Arseholes.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I hesitate to bring this up, but I always thought it was kind of weird that the people who died in the trade towers got lots and lots of money (well, their families did) - where did that money come from? I had heard that the government gave the money because if the airlines had to give it, it would have bankrupted them. Apparently whenever there is a plane crash, people get money. I realize that the trade towers weren't an accident, but why did anybody owe the families money?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

kaisdad said:
What a bunch of miserable low-lifes. They should just be thankful to be alive. Any lawyer or passenger who tries to sue the airlines should be taken out and publicly tattooed with the word 'Dickhead' on their foreheads.
Fixed.

Cheers,

Pottsie

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I guess I'll play contrarian just because nobody else has so far.

First of all ... there IS an investigation underway regarding that particular aircraft's engine configuration with SEVERAL RECENT incidents of reported STALLING upon powered take-off. Secondly, that very same specific aircraft allegedly had an engine stall in almost the exact same flight position just two days earlier. Nothing was found to be wrong so it continued in service. The above information was first reported by Geraldo last weekend on Fox news.

Assume for a moment that the allegations are true. The freakish part is that all those fortunate souls lived through what would clearly have been negligent HOMICICDE by the airlines, if true.

As far as the $5K is concerned, that was not requested by the passengers or their attorneys, it was offered by the airlines. Who among you would have said "no thanks"? As far as future claims are concerned, why should any passenger be limited in what their damage recovery might be since each will have different aspects of damages? If they don't wish to pursue a claim they don't have to. For those that do, they should be allowed to do so without people who didn't experience the same near-death horror calling them names.

My $.02

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
patm said:
I hesitate to bring this up, but I always thought it was kind of weird that the people who died in the trade towers got lots and lots of money (well, their families did) - where did that money come from? I had heard that the government gave the money because if the airlines had to give it, it would have bankrupted them. Apparently whenever there is a plane crash, people get money. I realize that the trade towers weren't an accident, but why did anybody owe the families money?
That is a totally different situation than the hudson river crash. People lost their lives...i think those families did deserve some sort of compensation. I dont think the hudson river survivors should be trying to get more money out of the airlines...9/11 is a totally different situation, that was a loss of a life and i'm sure the airlines were more than happy to give the money to those families. There were children, wives and husbands that lost their loved ones. Most of the money went i'm sure to the children's college funds and to help support the family. Totally, totally different.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
chance72399 said:
patm said:
That is a totally different situation than the hudson river crash. People lost their lives...i think those families did deserve some sort of compensation. I dont think the hudson river survivors should be trying to get more money out of the airlines...9/11 is a totally different situation, that was a loss of a life and i'm sure the airlines were more than happy to give the money to those families. There were children, wives and husbands that lost their loved ones. Most of the money went i'm sure to the children's college funds and to help support the family. Totally, totally different.
It isn't really a different situation. In both cases airline passengers suffered trauma of varying degree. The 9/11 families got millions - apparently that is how much a life is worth. So what is a fair price for the Hudson River passengers? $0, $10,000, $100,000?

Also I have a feeling that some of the people who posted [about how this is rampant greed and the passengers should consider themselves lucky just to be alive] would, if they were on that plane already have contacted an attorney.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
So if the people on the plane had died they would deserve money? Same situation, different ending. I must admit that when I read the story from the first link, the people did sound very ungrateful, but it really sounded like it was written in the tabloid style and of course we would geta bad impression. And it is true that human nature can turn very rapidly from gratitude to something else - it happens all the time.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
since the investigation has not been finished, and blame has not been put on anyone yet, there is no need to start one yet. period, when it is done, they airline has offered all they will, then is the time to decide if further action is needed, not before, some lawyers may disagree, thats fine, everyone is in titled to their opinion and this is mine. ;)

Mself I think it's Fish and Wildlifes fault, we need to shoot more geese. ;) Bet there is a lawyer somewhere who would consider taking that one on also. :laugh:

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
patm said:
So if the people on the plane had died they would deserve money? Same situation, different ending. I must admit that when I read the story from the first link, the people did sound very ungrateful, but it really sounded like it was written in the tabloid style and of course we would geta bad impression. And it is true that human nature can turn very rapidly from gratitude to something else - it happens all the time.
Same situation, different ending most definately should be a deciding factor. Think of it this way. 2 gys get in a fight outside a bar. Scenario 1: they throw some punches, friends break it up, everyone goes home. Scenario 2: They throw some punches, only one guy punched really hard, and in just the right spot, and fragments of the other guy's nose are driven into his brain. OR, one guy gets hit & falls, smashing his head on the curb. One guy never goes home again. Same situation, different outcome. One guy is going to jail in scenario 2 because of the outcome.

There is a lot of grey.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Maple1 said:
It isn't really a different situation. In both cases airline passengers suffered trauma of varying degree. The 9/11 families got millions - apparently that is how much a life is worth. So what is a fair price for the Hudson River passengers? $0, $10,000, $100,000?

Also I have a feeling that some of the people who posted [about how this is rampant greed and the passengers should consider themselves lucky just to be alive] would, if they were on that plane already have contacted an attorney.
The difference here is that the millions of dollars is based on estimates of earning potential lost when a life is lost. No lives were lost. If it turns out that the airline was negligent, and anyone was severely injured enough to lose significant ability to work, then that person will be entitled to additional compensation.

And in response to your "feeling" that I'm probably a hypocrite - if it were me on that plane, and I did lose some ability to work, I would only attempt litigation if my initial claims for further compensation were denied by the airline. I feel like everyone's borrowing trouble at this point. The airline has already stated that it is open to the possibility of further claims in the future.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
For years the hunter's of the Metro NYC area have been lobbying for a goose season. If you drive around, you'll see thousands of geese who stay in the region. The flocks are huge and there is no wildlife management in place. Unfortunately I think there will be more instances of waterfowl turbine ingestion. This time the passengers and crew were lucky that they had a great pilot. If he had opted for Teterboro airport in NJ and didn't make it,the ground casualties could have easily outnumbered the passengers and crew.

As far as the greed goes. People suck. If I were a passenger that avoided death with only getting my feet wet,I would be writing a check to the pilot for a lot more than 5 grand. I would definetly put him on the top of my Christmads card list.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts