Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grover is usually really hyper, but last week after his 1st birthday, he's been really quiet. I don't know if it's that he's suddenly turned the corner and is able to relax in the house, or if he's sick. He eats his food (although sometimes he nibbles for a while beforehand), and he drinks water and everything. He's just incredibly quiet now and it's either a blessing that I can really enjoy his company cuz he doesn't wanna chew or destroy anymore (haha) or I need to get him to the vet ASAP. any ideas?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Since we're not there to observe, it will be hard for us to say what's going on. Sometimes it is like a switch going off, when they finally figure out how to behave. Honestly, if you're concerned, I'd rather spend the money on the vet for a complete check up rather than wait and see if he's not feeling well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since we're not there to observe, it will be hard for us to say what's going on. Sometimes it is like a switch going off, when they finally figure out how to behave. Honestly, if you're concerned, I'd rather spend the money on the vet for a complete check up rather than wait and see if he's not feeling well.
It looks like he's ok. i was playing some fetch with him before and he was running around. I guess it's just taking the little (now, big) guy a while to wake up from his naps

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Just keep an eye on him. If you see anything that seems off, maybe get him checked out. A young dog shouldn't take long to wake up from naps. 7 years and up, maybe, but not a yearling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right, when the vet opens tomorrow I'll make an appointment for him. Hopefully everything's ok, I worry about my buddy cuz I love em :D

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Hopefully (and probably) everything is okay, but like I said, I'd rather spend the money early on and be certain. Good luck.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I agree...better to go to the vet and spend the money to reassure yourself everything is OK...if you don't and it turns out you should have, you'll never be able to forgive yourself.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Ask the vet about the possibility of lymes disease too.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm glad you're taking him in. Update us when you can, please?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: the vet examined him closely, checked his rectum, took a stool sample (will take a couple days to get the results back), checked his belly for tightness/discomfort, and she said she found nothing amiss other than the fact that his temperature is elevated 1 degree above normal. She gave him an antibiotic and some gentle food for his stomach (he had loose bowels last night) and told me to check in in another week. She said that there were no signs of anything to be seriously concerned about though; he is probably just quieting down as he gets older. I recall him being a VERY mellow puppy before he hit about 6 months, so that could just be his personality. He's sleeping on my bed next to me as I type this. I love him and I really hope he's ok.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm so glad the vet managed to reassure you - and you will give us further updates, wont you? I (and everyone else here) know exactly what you mean by you love him. Just can't help yourself, can you???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm so glad the vet managed to reassure you - and you will give us further updates, wont you? I (and everyone else here) know exactly what you mean by you love him. Just can't help yourself, can you???
nope lol, after all the mayhem he caused we've kind of developed an unbreakable bond

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I gave him his antibiotic this morning and then we played some fetch (inside), and after he ran around for a bit he started heaving like he wanted to vomit. It's probably just cuz he just swallowed 2 pills, right? He ate his food this morning and has been pooping regularly

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Some antibiotics can cause stomach upset. Why, if they didn't find anything wrong, did they give him an antibiotic?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: he's been trying to cough something up for the last couple of hours; i don't know why and I called the vet they said to bring him back for an x-ray and a blood test. Now I'm starting to worry..I'm taking him in at 7 PM...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: Took him to the vet for an xray and another checkup. His "vomiting" was actually a dry cough, but they did find some sort of small foreign objects that appeared grey on the xray meaning they're either bone or rocks (or hard plastic i would assume). The vet said they're so small they should pass through without issue, but I need to take him for more xrays tomorrow
edit: his lethargy is gone now too

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I am glad to hear that they think everything should pass. It sounds like he may have had an upset stomach from the beginning. I guess I'm kind of confused as to why the vet gave antibiotics for that, too.

How is Grover doing today??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am glad to hear that they think everything should pass. It sounds like he may have had an upset stomach from the beginning. I guess I'm kind of confused as to why the vet gave antibiotics for that, too.

How is Grover doing today??
He's actually doing excellent now. Back to his usual self. I'm relieved beyond a belief. The vet said to call tomorrow and let them know how he's doing, and everything seems to be better than good!

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I suspect they gave him antibiotics because his temp was up and were maybe treating an infection they suspected he had. Glad to hear he is doing well now and back to his old (young) self. It makes your heart stop when they get ill, doesn't it. Nobody (who hasnt had dogs) quite understands me when i say that, but my boy is like the 'son' i never had. I love him dearly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts