Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I gave Casey some chicken liver to eat and she turned her nose up at it! I was really surprised by this since she seems to love anything I give her. She finally took the liver outside and I thought she ate it. Well today I found it in the yard uneaten. :whatever:
:laugh:
Today I just gave her beef liver and she checked it out for a few minutes but then started eating it. I cannot stand liver and I think it is gross so I was sure that a dog would love it! Anyone else have a lab that does not care for liver or another raw meat?

·
Registered
7 Posts
really your dog doesn't like liver????!
unbelieveable!
my dog loves liver and all raw food! she always is very greedy when she gets some ;)
sometimes i'scared that she chokes on it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I tried to give Onyx liver just by itself- she spit it out but if I add it to her other meat, she eats it without hesitation!! Maybe try to mix it with other meat- if you are, I don't know what to tell you!! :confused:

How is the raw feeding going??? Onyx loves it and I think she just looks wonderful- her fur is shiny, not greasy, her ears and teeth are totally clean!! She just seems really healthy!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 Onyx thanks for the suggestion on mixing the liver. I will try putting it together with other meat to see how she responds. The raw feeding is going very well overall and Casey loves her food! :D She did have some turkey legs recently that made her sick but I think they were bad to begin with. This was the first time there has been a bad experience with a raw meat. I will just need to be more careful in the future with paying attention to her reactions to something I try to give to her. I am glad that raw feeding is going so well for you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
4 Onyx said:
How is the raw feeding going???
That's a crazy question - i never heard that before ... your dog is really an exception I guess. But seriously if she does not like raw food i would maybe just cook it for her. Maybe her stomach is not use to it and maybe it is really not good for her helth ...

·
Registered
395 Posts
The first time I gave Blu beef liver he played with it for a few min's than ate it b/c one of the other dogs came near him. Since than no problems.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
maia.6250 said:
4 Onyx said:
That's a crazy question - i never heard that before ... your dog is really an exception I guess. But seriously if she does not like raw food i would maybe just cook it for her. Maybe her stomach is not use to it and maybe it is really not good for her helth ...
I definitely do not agree with this.

You're doing great with Casey's raw diet Diabolical Angel. I guess if she doesn't seem to take to the chicken liver then just omit that part from her meals or as 4Onyx said, mix it in with something she does like.

Cheers Sarah

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sarah said:
maia.6250 said:
4 Onyx said:

You're doing great with Casey's raw diet Diabolical Angel. I guess if she doesn't seem to take to the chicken liver then just omit that part from her meals or as 4Onyx said, mix it in with something she does like.

Cheers Sarah

Thanks Sarah....I was sort of ignoring that quoted post it if you know what I mean. :whistle:
Casey is doing great with the raw diet and she decided that beef liver is awesome but not chicken liver and that is OK. 8)
By the way, have you started feeding raw to Milly yet?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Baloo loves chicken, beef and lamb liver but won't touch pork or turkey liver. :ugly: It all looks/smells the same to me, so I don't really "get" his discrimination.

Each to his own, I guess. :D

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
What does the liver do? It purifies the body. Caleb never ate liver until I got him some liver from organically gronw animals. I guess he could smell/sense the garbage that was in the other liver. Now he eats it without a problem but I only give him the organically raised/fed stuff.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Baloo317 said:
Baloo loves chicken, beef and lamb liver but won't touch pork or turkey liver. :ugly: It all looks/smells the same to me, so I don't really "get" his discrimination.

Each to his own, I guess. :D
Baloo is quite the discriminating foodie in his culinary tastes! :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yellow Boys Mom said:
What does the liver do? It purifies the body. Caleb never ate liver until I got him some liver from organically gronw animals. I guess he could smell/sense the garbage that was in the other liver. Now he eats it without a problem but I only give him the organically raised/fed stuff.
Good point and I could see why organically grown meat would differ in the state of the liver.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
diabolicalangel said:
sarah said:
maia.6250 said:
4 Onyx said:

Cheers Sarah

Thanks Sarah....I was sort of ignoring that quoted post it if you know what I mean. :whistle:
Casey is doing great with the raw diet and she decided that beef liver is awesome but not chicken liver and that is OK. 8)
By the way, have you started feeding raw to Milly yet?
Not yet. I'm bad aren't I? I'm just a bit scared of it that's all.

Do you freeze Casey's meat or just refridgerate it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No Sarah I don't think you are bad because you have not started the raw diet with Milly. Certainly it is very unknown territory for pet owners and eating raw meat is generally foreign for humans. I would be willing to bet that Milly would absolutely love it and do very well on a raw diet. You might experiment with a little raw chicken breast and see how she responds. However, at the same time you need to be ready and if you are not then that is ok.
When I buy Casey's food I put it in freezer bags and depending on what I am going to feed first some goes into the freezer and a little stays in the fridge. I try to plan ahead and take out the bags for defrosting as I go.

Let me know if you try it out!

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I started my boys on raw, they didn't seem to like liver either. I personally think it was the "texture" because they'd pick it up, and then spit it out. So, I started them with chicken livers, hearts, gizzards etc... but I put them in the blender first. After I killed my blender, I just put some in their bowls, they ate it. I've always had it with heart, kidney, gizzards etc....

Maybe try making a "gravy" out of the liver and something else?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
How about mincing the liver in with some chicken? I know totally different species here but my ferret is fed a raw diet and he hates live alone but loves it mixed with chicken :crazy:

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
kaznalf said:
How about mincing the liver in with some chicken? I know totally different species here but my ferret is fed a raw diet and he hates live alone but loves it mixed with chicken :crazy:
is that equal to putting white sauce on veggies to mask the taste? :laugh:

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
sarah said:
kaznalf said:
is that equal to putting white sauce on veggies to mask the taste? :laugh:
Hmmm not sure :laugh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts