Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. There's the new car. Which I love. And I'm still not at all certain that I'll let the dogs ride in it.

But. Today I ordered heavy-duty custom-fit covers for the rear seat and to protect the backs of the front seats. Just in case, you know. They'll be here in 3 - 4 weeks, and hopefully the weather will again be conducive to riding with the top down.

Out of cusiosity - purely academic of course - for those of you who use car harnesses / seatbelt restraints for their dogs in the car, what kind do you have? Pros/cons? I'd never let them ride in a convertible without being buckled in. But I don't think the system I used for my Mini (not convertible) and that we have for the SUV would be optimal. You know. Just asking...

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I hope Felicia sees this. She can tell you what kind we have. (LOL...I copied hers but forgot the brand). Anyway, it was extremely well-made. What kind of car did you get? Kevin is having a mid-life crisis and is very close to getting a convertible. I have been thinking we need to order another seat belt, just in case. :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Not sure of brand, I picked it up at a small local pet shop. Harness is made of black seat belt material straps, large D-ring where Lead would attach. Instead I have a similar strap, adjustable length, that attaches to the D-ring, and the other end slips into the seat-belt buckle. I set the length such that HK can get her head 'out the window', but can not get herself up on the window opening or jump out or get thrown out. She has enough freedom that she can lay down on the seat if she so desires.

PS: Not sure if you know this yet. They are going to get to ride in the convertible, you are too easy.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Connie, I am also having a mid-life crisis, I guess! :wink: I posted in O & E, but 10 days ago I bought a pre-owned Porsche 911 convertible, which has been my dream car since I knew what a car was. Oh, and to add to the midlife thing, I decided to become a redhead, too.

Ed, I don't know what you mean. I assure you, I'm just asking to be thoroughly informed and make the best impartial decision that I can regarding the dogs' potential safety shuold they ever have to ride in my car. I am sure that the fact that Toby dances around the car and looks in it longingly every time I pull into the garage has nothing whatsoever to do with the purchases I made today...

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Hey Ursula... this is what I use to secure the boyz' car harnesses to the car (scroll down to the kwic-connect tether). These are their harnesses! (I think this is what Connie has for her boys).

I like the kwic-connect tether because it clips into the LATCH bar that you would secure a child's car seat to, and it's solid. If it's good enough to hold people's babies, it's good to hold mine. :) I don't like clipping into a seatbelt or threading through a seatbelt because there's too much "give" before the seatbelt locks. Just a personal choice.

The kwic-connect tether can be found at any PetsMart, and the harnesses I ordered online. Henry has had his since he was 6 months old, and other than a bit of chewing on it (when he was little), it is pretty much brand new. Excellent quality and customer service!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Ed, I don't know what you mean. I assure you, I'm just asking to be thoroughly informed and make the best impartial decision that I can regarding the dogs' potential safety shuold they ever have to ride in my car. I am sure that the fact that Toby dances around the car and looks in it longingly every time I pull into the garage has nothing whatsoever to do with the purchases I made today...
Right?

I don't think I have to say any more.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oooo, a Porsche! Perfect for a mid-life crisis! Hope it's bright, cherry red! :D The car, not your hair. LOL

Kevin's long-time dream is a convertible, but he had no particular model in mind until this year. He now MUST have a BMW. It is apparently critical to his emotional well-being.

·
Registered
629 Posts
We tried a seat belt harness with Jenica and tied it also back to the frame of the car. However, she really disliked it and was able to wiggle herself out of it or falling off the seat and hanging in the harness while trying to. This was no matter how tight it fit her, as she would be able to loosen the adjustable parts with her wiggling. We finally had to make sure that it was no longer adjustable (sewing it fixed in her size) and keeping the tether short enough that she could not slide off the seat.
So before you hypothetically use any seat belt harness in the new car, check how good of a rider your two are in a harness.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I am pretty sure I use the same harness at Felicia. I have tried others, but this is the best one so far and Sedona likes it. I think it is the best fitting one as far as comfort. Sedona hated harnesses as a small puppy and we had to use a small mesh type travel crate that hooked into the seatbelt and she really hated that so she adapted very quickly to a harness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts