Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always change my own oil, and after today I always will. I normally just schedule to do it when I go home since my apartment complex doesn't allow it. I'm going to be moving before I get to go home, so I decided to swing in to the Valvoline Instant Oil Change down the road. I knew it would be more expensive, but my jaw hit the floor when they brought the bill out. I can change my oil, replace the oil and air filters for around $30. The bill today...$75. My grandmother would call that highway robbery. I guess if I ever have to take it to someone again it will be Walmart or a mechanic, I know they're a lot cheaper. I'll never go to one of those quick change places again.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Holy moly! I've never been to one that cost that much. We have a Rama right around the corner from our house. I could almost throw a rock and hit it. I can get a full-service oil change and an interior and exterior car wash for $40-$45.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Wow! We go to a quick change place also. They change our oil and replenish any fluids that may be low. It cost us $28 every few months. We get a military dscount, but I can't imagine it's that much!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Was that synthetic or regular oil? I get synthetic and it is usually about $50...but it lasts 8-10k miles.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I think it borders on price gouging. I absolutely lost my temper, then felt a little bad because the kid doing it doesn't set the price. I did apologize to him, but I'm still ticked. I should've asked up front what the price was, but I just had no idea it would be that high considering no one else I've heard of charges that much for a simple oil/filter change.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was that synthetic or regular oil? I get synthetic and it is usually about $50...but it lasts 8-10k miles.
The same Valvoline Max Life that I can buy at AutoZone for about $20-$25. I have used the synthetic before, I'd hate to see what they charge for that.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Geeze! I almost always go to Valvoline and have never been charged that much! What was the price breakdown?
It is usually around $40 or less for me.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Geeze! I almost always go to Valvoline and have never been charged that much! What was the price breakdown?
It is usually around $40 or less for me.
Which one? I wonder if their prices differ? I went to the one on Frankfort Ave/Shelbyville Rd. It was $49.99 for the oil and oil filter change, $12 for labor, tax and the balance (I think $10 or so) for the air filter. The receipt is in my car, but I know the first two amounts are exact.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I stopped using those drive-by places years ago, when the moron working on my car shambled up to me with the plug to the oil pan in his greasy fingers.

"I uh.... I uh.... I stripped this trying to put it back on...."

Lughead!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Yikes thats a lot of money! Even DD and I can change our own oil and oil filter- I'm way to cheap to pay someone to do it!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
That's crazy! I've used two Valvoline places around town it was around $36 both times I think. One was out on Westport the other was on Dixie. Normally DH changes it though. I didn't have the air filter changed though I can do that easy enough myself so they just did the oil and oil filter. It's been several years though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts