Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many of you are in the same situation that I am !

A Daughter that I wouldn't trust to look after a slow worm.

A Brother that doesn't even own a cat and as far as I know wouldn't entertain a dog.

Me - at an age when I'm not in the first flush of youth and wanting te ensure the future of my pups when I'm not around ?

Ring a bell ?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I believe that thought has crossed all our older minds on more than one occasion, Colin. Just be glad you only have two dogs to be concerned with. I'll bet you can pretty easily arrange accommodation for the cats.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a worry Nance that I need to address !

Sorry ! You know exactly what I mean !

One - ten - does it matter ? The more there are the more the problem because they are a family aren't they but I need to sort it for peace of mind !.

Apparently as a divorcee and a person living alone, I am a candidate for Alzheimers and an early death and I don't want to leave them in limbo without a certain future.

Did I mention that I am on holiday this week ?

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't you know animal people where you volunteer for the horses? Would one of them be suitable?
I hardly volunteer ! I'm an unpaid groom and Wendy has far too much on her plate at the moment to look after her own animals let alone mine!

It's a worry that I would like advice on ( I reserve judgement as to whether I take it ! )

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I've got the same dilemma. I don't know what would happen to mine if I expired tomorrow. I've got no family left & the few friends I would trust them with, already have dogs of their own. Under our BS dog laws, you're only allowed 2 dogs per household unless you have a breeders permit.

When I made my will, I enquired about getting them PTS & buried with me. Not a nice thought I know, but at least we'd all stay together. Can't do that either. Local laws wont allow animals to be buried in the cemetery. The other option is to leave a trust fund in my estate to care for them until they die but that still doesn't solve the problem of who would look after them.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the same dilemma. I don't know what would happen to mine if I expired tomorrow. I've got no family left & the few friends I would trust them with, already have dogs of their own. Under our BS dog laws, you're only allowed 2 dogs per household unless you have a breeders permit.

When I made my will, I enquired about getting them PTS & buried with me. Not a nice thought I know, but at least we'd all stay together. Can't do that either. Local laws wont allow animals to be buried in the cemetery. The other option is to leave a trust fund in my estate to care for them until they die but that still doesn't solve the problem of who would look after them.

Sadly Garth - I feel your pain.

Reason for the post !

Whatever our differences there's no doubt that we have the same dilemma.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Even if you have a family member, or friends who would take them, you still worry that they wouldn't "take care of them and love them" like you do. If something happened to just me, by husband would keep the dogs, but while he would care of them physically, his idea of watching the dogs" or giving them affection, is alot different than mine! And even a good friend who has lots of dogs and would keep them, - well, they are used to lots of outdoor exercise and walks with me, and she lives in town with a small fenced in yard - you get the picture. But at least I have people in mind, and I know that the dogs would probably settle in anywhere and be OK

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Could you create a trust for them?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I'm with you Colin. There isn't anyone in my family that I would leave the dogs to. Well maybe there are a couple of prospects but they aren't close family. Right now I have a friend with which we have made a pact to take care of each other animals. I think I actually am in their will (perhaps a trust for their dogs). Shame on me for not getting around to it on my end.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I believe that thought has crossed all our older minds on more than one occasion, Colin. Just be glad you only have two dogs to be concerned with. I'll bet you can pretty easily arrange accommodation for the cats.
I actually think finding cats good loving permanent homes is tougher than dogs - in my own circle of family and friends the dogs would be ok(ish) - the cats have nobody who could/would step up to take them

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I'm in the same situation you are in Colin except that my children are animal lovers. They live cross country from me. In any event if something should happen to me while Nellie is alive she goes back to Labrador Retriever Rescue as stipulated in the contract I signed.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We have no one we could leave the boys to, either. My older brother and SIL would be my choice, but since they are 11 years older than me, I doubt they will outlive me. I have no children and we would not give them to any of Bill's kids.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Thank goodness I have a lot of animal lovers in the family. My DD has already said that she would take the boys. My sister would take Jefferson in a heartbeat, as would my SIL. The only one that loves Teddy--besides me-- is my DD. I have provided for them in my will. That is if I have any money left--the way things are going doesn't bode well.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Yes, and I legally appointed dog guardians for when I go. Contacted an attorney to make it legal and it's part of my will.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
This was not a subject I thought about when I got my first lab...I was young. I just got a new puppy and this thought has crossed my mind. I hate to even think about it. Although I have a wonderful family who would give Gracie lots of love...but no one would love her like me. Your dogs are beautiful...how old are they? I pray you will be blessed with an angel who will take care of all your loved ones and bring you peace when that time comes.
lisa

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I also stipulated in my will -my primary pick would be my SU along with 25K to care for Morgan. Also named a secondary cargiver in the event something happens to SU. GOD FORBID

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
My sister or my parents, and if they were not available my aunt and uncle ... and if they couldn't do it I'd leave him to my best friend and/or her parents (I'm close with them too, they have a black lab). I've got my bases covered and all parties involved are aware.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts