Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the craziest thing I've ever heard of!!! I noticed when I checked my online bank statement this morning there was a charge for $52.99 from Norton Annual Renewal that I had no idea what it was from. I was thinking Norton Hospital which is where I had Aubrey but I knew I hadn't paid anything from there in the last several months. I called my bank and they suggested that it was Norton Antiviris which made more sence because I knew ours at home was about to renew and had planned to do it this week after I got paid. I thought maybe DH did it without telling me but that's not like him at all he lets me do all the computer stuff and it was on my Debit card not his. My coworker heard me ask DH if he had done the upgrade and mentioned that he got an email from the boss about a charge for our Norton at work that was Automatically renewed without our permission.

What Norton is doing is sending out an email notifying you that the amount of the renewal will be charged to the initial credit card unless you reply back to this email. Then you'll get an email saying that it has been automatically renewed and they charge your card if you didnt' reply to the first. Now the email I used last year when I ordered the Norton I no longer use so I didn't get either email. This is the craziest thing I've heard of I can't beleive they are getting away with it. I called and made them refund the amount and cancel the automatic renewal. They told me it was the default so if you have Norton you may want to watch for the email. Luckily DH just got paid so the money was there but I would be pissed if it was taken out and had overdrawn my account.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
That automatic renewal as the default option is what sneaks up on you. What happened to you happened to me a few years ago... took me completely by surprise, but Norton did credit my account back. I quit using Norton. (It does tend to take over your computer)

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are crediting my account (2-3 days) and I will be switching to something else I think we have Panda internet security at work and it seems to work pretty well. I just can't see how it's legal for them to send an email and if you don't respond they charge you it should be the other way around if you respond they can charge you that way at least you are giving your permission and expect the charge.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't use Norton at all it is not worth it they let to many things in your computer that are a pain in the butt. We use two different ones on ours AVG and Avast they are both free though downloads.com what one does not get the other one does

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
The thing I hate about those renewing kinds of things... is that they always come at the wrong time... and then your account can go under... then there are fees... so it doesn't even matter if they refund the initial charge... the damage is done.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I heart Norton! I've learned to customize it like crazy to do what I want it to do. Every year it improves more. I remember when I used to have that free virus protection. AVG? I think? Man! Sooo many things slipped by.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
The same automatic renewal happened last year. Norton e-mails somehow always end up in my spam folder and I had not checked it in a bit, so they charged my credit card. I saw the confirmation e-mail and they told me that I could change the setting to not automatically renew, but that they were getting quite a few calls and refunded the money promptly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts