Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will sound odd to some of you, but I just saw an ad for sweet tea now at McDonald's. Then I saw it while reading through the different Southern traditions. Is this the same thing as iced tea where you add sugar and lemon? Just wondereing up here in Pennsylvania!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Don't know. ???
I'm not much help because I rarely watch TV or go to McDonalds.

I used to like their Big Macs, though.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
I think I'd like Sweet Tea. :)

We have Nestea up here which is sweetened with lemon. Probably not the same, eh?? LOL

·
Registered
922 Posts
Aim said:

We have Nestea up here which is sweetened with lemon. Probably not the same, eh?? LOL
You mean that instant stuff? Lord, no! That stuff is terrible and bears no resemblance to real iced tea. You should try the real stuff, it is delicious!

BTW, lemon added to iced tea should be the real thing too - I like a big old wedge of lemon in mine. Lemon juice is not the same thing.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Labsrme said:
Aim said:

You mean that instant stuff? Lord, no! That stuff is terrible and bears no resemblance to real iced tea. You should try the real stuff, it is delicious!

BTW, lemon added to iced tea should be the real thing too - I like a big old wedge of lemon in mine. Lemon juice is not the same thing.
Exactly!! Sweet Tea is the wine of the south!!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Our McDonalds have McLobster sandwiches in the summer... and its real lobster meat too! I don't think there is very much of it though... mind you, I've never had one.

I think I would like sweet tea. We call the instant stuff iced tea, but some fancier restaurants will give you real iced tea when you order it. haha.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
It's also important to remember that it is unacceptable to "make" sweet tea by taking already iced UNsweet tea and adding sugar or sweeteners. It just isn't the same. You have to add the sugar in while it's hot, like Labsrme said.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I have lived in New York and Georgia, and the grocery stores in either region have pretty much everything we were accustomed to buying ,less a few things. Outside of the grocery stores here's what I noticed.

Georgia.

1) Not many bakeries or bagel shops and Krispie Kreme were the only donuts.

2) Papa John's is not Pizza and neither is Pizza Hut.

3) Everything is fried, broiled or steamed foods are rare.

4) Boiled peanuts are awesome!

5) Cheese and Italian meats are hard to find. The Olive Garden is not Italian food, nice try.

6) I do like Krogers for shopping.

7) I noticed people don't cook at home much. In our Apt. complex we rarely had smells of cooking,only us. Probably just a local thing.

8) Fried chicken and Fried Catfish ...Oh my God soo bad ,but sooo good!

9) Sweet tea!

10) Mexican food is absolutely incredible, but all Chinese restaurants are buffet's. WTH!

11) Chain restaurants abound!

New York

1) Bakeries everywhere, Italian ,Jewish, Middle Eastern, too many choices.

2) Every neighborhood has at least one pizzaria. Pizza Huts are next to interstates for travelers.

3) Fried food isn't a big seller unless it's Lenten fish fries.

4) No boiled peanuts,hush puppies,pecan pie, catfish nuggets,grits,cornbread,biscuits and gravy
I miss them, but my heart and waistline thank me.

5) Italian food and ingredients everywhere and cheap to buy.

6) Lotsa of Mom and Pop markets and roadside veggie stands during season.

7) Everbody cooks and everybody is constantly trying to feed you.

8) No sweet tea and what they call sweet tea is so wrong.

9) No good mexican food, but plenty of other ethnic restaurants.

There is so much I like about southern cooking, I've probably missed some great foods. I enjoy my foods of New York, but you cannot beat Southern cooking! I could go for some boiled peanuts .

T

·
0 Posts
OK reading this I want to go over to COdys mom and have a big glass of her sweet tea. BOY IS IT SWEET and yummy. And so good with lots of ice.

T

·
0 Posts
MidwestGirl said:
Tater said:
OK reading this I want to go over to COdys mom and have a big glass of her sweet tea. BOY IS IT SWEAT and yummy. And so good with lots of ice.
SWEAT? ewwww.....just kidding!
I changed it sorry :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Cheese Grits should always be served with fried fish,most people use cheddar and its basic but there are several recipes for them with a variety of cheeses and ingredients.My mother is from Massachussets and my father from here and I was born here so Ive had a variety of great northern and southern recipes,and my mother has turned into a fine southern cook.

Along the coastal south we eat more seafood/saltwater fish,but stilll do love a pan-fried bream and some catfish...but fried red snapper and triggerfish is second to none

Not to mention we also boil crabs,crawfish and shrimp(low county boil style)at least twice a month.

I lived in manhatten a couple months when I was younger and mostly misss the pizza and Nathans hot dogs,you can buy the nathans dogs in packs here but they arent the same at all.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Been through this on my historical boards with friends before, "Durn Rebs put the sugar in their tea and not their cornbread." ;D

(That ought to stir things up.) ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
delmonico said:
Been through this on my historical boards with friends before, "Durn Rebs put the sugar in their tea and not their cornbread." ;D

(That ought to stir things up.) ;)
we call that sweet cornbread "johnny cakes" aka Jiffy...

But I was also going to add that southern fried fish is fried with cornmeal and not flour.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
This thread is killing me! I am craving anything fried right now, and I'm not looking forward to tuna on whole wheat for lunch. ::)

P

·
0 Posts
1) Ice Tea -- If you have a Mr.Coffee Ice Tea maker, just throw it out. The ice is supposed to come in the glass, not as part of making the tea. Plenty of southerners drink their tea with no sugar, but I take mine sweet.

2) grits --- mmmmm, now I'm getting hungry.....There is the grits and eggs (fried egg on top of the grits), cheesy grits, butter and honey....is it lunch time yet?

3) cornbread -- most any recipe I use, I double the sugar they have in the recipe

4) fried catfish -- if you are down south and in a rural area and stop at a nice looking catfish place.....be prepared. It used to be that they simply gutted the fish, battered and fried it and sent it to the table. I honestly can't remember if they whacked off the head. So if you are used to strictly a filet.....You Have Been Warned.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts