Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to see my sister's new home. A little bit of a Mother's day lunch party gathering for my Mom and BIL' mom.
My sister's BIL showed up (invited) with his 2 dogs (not invited).
(my sister can't deal with my dogs..she has a very nice calm lazy dainty dog named Ruby) so I never bring my girls which is sad, since Ruby is always welcome here. My sister has a dog, but she is NOT a dog person.
Anywho... the BIL shows up (guy doesn't have any common sense) with 2 dogs..I thought my sister was going to die..(she doesn't much care for this guy)
One dog is a 5 year old Great Dane. Nicest dog, but very underweight(who knows why ::)) and such bad hips he can barely walk. Dog #2 is a husky..total spaz.
BIL ties the husky to a tree in the yard thinking that is going to be sufficient and the husky proceeds to start yelping at the top of his lungs...(of course) within minutes, the Husky has tangled the rope and is wrapped around the tree...
This is in a nice upscale compact neighborhood in Manchester....you can't let a dog bark incessantly.(not that you can do that anywhere but a dog barking on property in the country isn't so annoying to neighbors)
I had to go escape in the house, the BIL is totally clueless..you can't say anything to the BIL...my sister was having a stroke.
The dogs are not allowed in the house (which I think is ridiculous, but it isn't my house)
so the BIL sticks them in his station wagon...personally I think it is too hot but again...I mention it, but it goes on deaf ears. I keep checking on the dogs...I can't relax...pit in my stomach.
Suprisingly the dogs seem just fine in the car and are sleeping. No sign of discomfort or panting..probably used to it.
BIL lives in a tiny trailer with these 2 BIG dogs. ???
Just before I left, the BIL had the dogs out in the yard for a pee and stretch break.
BIL was saying how the GD fell off a cliff recently hiking..WTF would you hike with a lame Great Dane?
The poor Great Dane was so lame with bad hips and elbows, they were splaying out in all directions, he could barely walk...completely crippled. He is 5 years old.
I got so choked up..I bailed early on the party.
Not like he is going to have his hips fixed...not much longer before he can't walk at all. So heartbreaking.
I know I am just blah blahing...

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
How sad. :( Some people are clearly NOT dogpersons... :-\

I really understand why you went early from the party. I would have too.

Give your girls a big hug and a smooch each.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
oh my gosh! What a tool!

BIL was saying how the GD fell off a cliff recently hiking..WTF would you hike with a lame Great Dane?
The poor Great Dane was so lame with bad hips and elbows, they were splaying out in all directions, he could barely walk...completely crippled. He is 5 years old.
Oh! :'( Maybe the fall is what crippled him so badly? Regardless, very sad. Did the dog have Wobbler's? It's very common in Great Danes, I believe. I saw one at PetsMart with Wobbler's. **** near cried right there. :(

I remember once my friend from Michigan showed up at my house to stay for several days with her little Lhasa Apso. Surprise! :mad: Now you know I love dogs more than anyone, but come on! You just don't show up at someone's house with a dog that wasn't specifically invited. Not unless you konw them *really* well. Even then, I wouldn't. I can't think of a single person I'd feel comfortable doing that to.

Crash was relegated to the backyard for the weekend because he might hurt the little yapface. ::) I felt so sad for him the whole time. He just watched through the glass like, "Why am I out here?" :(

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I googled Wobbler's and yes, the dog seemed to fit the diagnosist..
"Damned near cried" is right..that is how I felt.
Clearly the dog is not well. I mentioned that he is also underweight and rather than a black shiny healthy coat, the poor Dane's coat was ashy and dull. Not good.
The dog won't get the care it needs. I know enough about this guy to know he doesn't have any sense or judgement and no money either.
Yeah, you don't show up with your dogs without an invite, but since he did, I think they should have let them in the house...plenty of places to gate them comfortably.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have a hard time with situations like that, too. Makes you want to tie your BIL to a tree instead and see how he likes it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts