Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not for either of my guys, but my mom's 12 year old Bichon has torn her ACL. :(

Understandably, she doesn't want to put her through major surgery (Balta the bichon also has liver/kidney issues in combination with her age, effectively ruining her candidacy for anethesia).

I know that we've had quite a few folks on here with ACL/CCL tears, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas/experience pertaining to non-surgical treatment? Would it just be pain management?

She's on metacam right now.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
A true ACL tear can't be "cured", but they didn't even used to surgically repair human ACL tears if the person was older and not as active. It really depends on their pain level , how active they are, and if they can get around fairly well (as well as how bad a tear it is). Skippy was only 6 when he got his, and he is a large, active dog, so I knew I had to get his repaired. He had the traditional surgery and has done remarkedly well, but does have alot of arthritis in that knee.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She doesn't put any weight on the leg, but does get around fairly well and seems happy.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I chose conservative management rather than surgery when Kaylie was around 10-11 years old.. basically the protocol is the same as surgical recovery. Complete rest except for pottying on leash for one-two weeks, then gradually increasing exercise and rehab as the dog begins bearing weight. There's a yahoo group for CM - the goal is to allow the scar tissue to grow and stabilise the tear

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Nancy, do you have the address for that group?

Now the struggle is to get my mother to listen to me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Zoe had an Acl tear back in 2005, the only way to fix it is surgery......which she did have, and she is doing very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts