Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This made me smile.

My MIL has always been anti-dog. When SU was a girl, she beg-beg-begged for a dog, and in response she got.... a turtle. Which soon crawled under their shed and died.

MIL blamed allergies, but I think that was a scapegoat to quell SU all those years.

Anyway, MIL thought we were INSANE to get Wesley. And when things were rough in the beginning, it was MIL who was whispering into SU's ear: "That unruly dog has got to GO! YOU can't handle that dog and the children... yadda-yadda."

We stuck it through and, with the help of an excellent trainer, we made it through........

MIL has warmed to Wes somewhat over the years, as he's calmed and as she's gotten to know him. She will give him a pat or a treat, but not much else in the way of attention, being much more prone to have him go lie down somewhere OTHER than near her. But I didn't realize how deep the bond was until SU told me the other morning that MIL called in a PANIC. She had heard the tainted dog food story on the news and wanted to make sure that OUR Wesley was okay!!

Atta way to win her over, Wes. Atta boy! ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
That is such a sweet story!!!

I can sort of relate. My mom does not like dogs (and of course they LOVE her!). She had a bad experience as a child. Of course when Jake first showed up she pointed out all the "negatives" of keeping him. Since then she has accepted him and the other day when she was over she actually played fetch with him! I can tell she is really trying to get to know him and that makes me so happy!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Aww...that's so cute.
My mom will never admit she's a dog person but she is quite fond of Mocha and I know she misses my sisters dog since she took her to live with them in Indy. She always told my sister take your dog with you but now every ad for a dog she sees she keeps trying to talk dad into getting another dog for "him" yeah right. I think it's funny. Dad's a big animal person but doesn't want another right now. He loves it when I visit with Mocha though.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Awww! Now that is the sweetest story! She DOES love him!

I know what you mean about this. My mom is not a dog person, really. She never had them growing up (their single mother could barely feed seven kids, let alone a dog). Then when she was a young adult she had a bad experience and was chased and cornered by a vicious dog on her way to catch the bus. :-\

However, she did humor me when I was little. I was born loving dogs. ;) But, as many kids do, I would lose interest or get busy. :-[ Mom would then become caretaker. She did this because she is responsible, but not because she really loved or bonded with them.

But she loved Crash. :angel: Well, everyone did. And she loves the boys now too. It is so funny to watch her pet them. She looks a little awkward doing this :D but her heart is in the right place.

Really, I think it's more that she loves me than the dogs, and just knows that they are very important to me. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts