Just Labradors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Toby is not usually a counter-surfer and he NEVER surfs when we're home. He's had free run of the house at night for years, and while I know he typically does his "rounds" checking the house and usually getting a midnight snack, he's always been good and left everything alone.

3:30 this morning, I hear Toby CRUNCH-CRACK-CRUNCH chewing on something. He's on the landing outside our bedroom. It's dark and I really don't want to turn on the light and wake fully, so I lean down to take whatever it is away from him, thinking it was a nylabone or toy. Instead, I come up with a small plastic jar, like a spice bottle. It's stinky, too, empty, and missing its cap. On goes the light, and lo and behold, he's gotten the "Tuna Dash" dried tuna powder that a friend brought me to give Sherman (kitty) in our efforts to get him to eat more. It was about as far back on the counter as it could be, and tucked behind a whole bunch of other things. Oh, and it had been sealed up completely and had been sitting there for over 2 weeks without incident.

So I took it away, scolded him, and went downstairs to throw it away. Where, at the bottom of the stairs, I stepped on the cap (slimy and covered in drool) and into a very small pile of tuna powder. Blech. Go into the kitchen to the trash and to get the paper towels and find -

Mayhem. Two entire counters were cleared off, the toaster was on the floor (how didn't I hear that go crash?), the cat bowls were empty and on the floor, the salt cellar was spilled, and over on the cats' table, their dry food feeder - which I'd just filled - was COMPLETELY empty.

The dog dishes, on the other hand, were still full and their water bowls were as well. Chamois slept on the bed next to my husband throughout, so I know it was purely a solo act.

He's never done this before. Not at night, anyway. There were a couple of surfing transgressions very occasionally when we either had to, or decided to leave him loose when we went out during the day (remember the 2 pounds of cashews, anyone?), but it's been a long time. Normally, we gate the dogs in the downstairs bedroom when we're out during the day and we haven't had crates up for more than 2 years. I don't know what possessed him. Oh, and they went to daycare yesterday, so lack of exercise wasn't the problem. I hope this doesn't become a habit, or he'll have to be confined at night.

And then I had to wash my tuna-powdered and drool coated foot, and try to go back to sleep until the alarm went off at 6. Needless to say, it was not an auspicious start to the day and I had an important meeting this morning...

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Toby caught the cats in the act and was bringing you the evidence. Ah! How does it go? No good deed goes unpunished? Poor Toby.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh, I really really love this story. :D Tuna Dash! hahaha! Well of course he ate that! What were you thinking? :D

Oh, and [email protected] in the slimy tuna powder. I can't believe he brought his loot back to the bedroom within reach to crackity crunch crunch crunch. Toby, Toby...

Hope your meeting went ok! Thanks for the laugh. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.