Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sweet Simon. :) He did very well today for his first time. Also, one has to consider that he is not really a big fan of crates, yet he had to stay in one for two hours, in a hot building, prior to showing.

We got there right at 11:45, when the class was scheduled to start, but I had completely forgotten that judges are people and therefore need to eat lunch. So, we had another 40 minutes to wait before things even got started.

The past few days it has really warmed up here, so by then the building was getting very...warm. After two hours of this, Simon and I were both pretty whipped and I don't think either of us cared very much. :p

I was proud of doing what I think was a good job of staying upbeat and happy, and for the most part was able to keep Simon so too. It was not as good a performance as a couple of nights ago at the club, but: HE ONLY MISSED ONE EXERCISE! Not a shameful performance at all, for sure.

We had a couple of heeling issues, especially with lagging around the F8. Not a huge surprise there, but certainly nothing to NQ him and I saw much worse just while I was sitting and watching others.

The problem came with the retrieve on flat. Every once in a while, he doesn't go on the first command. This was one of those times. SHOOT! Then when he returned he did another of his occasional goofs: Instead of coming in to front, he laid down about three feet away. So, we were toast after that.

He did do a very cute thing on the retrieve over the jump: Sometimes in practice, if I throw a little crooked, he will go over the jump to get the dumbbell, but forget to come back over it. I will correct him by saying, "Uh oh!" and having him back up, still carrying the dumbbell, and go over. Today he looked like he was going to go around it, then he got this looks on his face like, "OH! Wait a minute...I'm supposed to jump on the way back too!" And he backed up a step and jumped over. LOL! Good boy Simon!

He was Steady Eddie on his group stays. :D

I'm hoping for at least that good, or maybe even better, tomorrow. I hope we do not get worse. Kevin says he'll save worse for Sunday. ;P

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Fantastic Connie. That sounds like a wonderful first time out. Very good boy, Simon.
That is too cute about him backing up to take the jump.
So, what's with him laying down on the Retrieve on the Flat? That's a weird issue. Sounds like he has it confused with the DOR exercise.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Awww, Simon!

Good first try. I bet you nail it tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Awesome debut!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fantastic Connie. That sounds like a wonderful first time out. Very good boy, Simon.
That is too cute about him backing up to take the jump.
So, what's with him laying down on the Retrieve on the Flat? That's a weird issue. Sounds like he has it confused with the DOR exercise.
Yeah, I dunno! Maybe that's it. Down is his default for "I'm not sure what to do, so I'll just lie down." It seems kind of hard to fix, because he has the dumbbell in his mouth and I don't want him to drop it because the whole point is to keep it in his mouth. Does that make any sense? Like, the way we fixed dropping too late was to take him back to where I originally gave the command, have him down there. That seemed to work. But I can't figure out how to do that with him carrying the dumbbell. I'm sure this is not making sense, the way I've written it.

My instructor said I needed to start spitting treats at him on this one.

OH...and here was a fun twist: Tonight we were practicing this a little bit again, and I was trying to get him really "up" about it. So I throw it, he goes out, spies something on the floor beside the dumbbell, picks it up then violently spits it back out. ???? I go over to see what it was. A wasp. !!!!

I threw it again, and he went waaaaaaay around the wasp and was afraid to try to pick it up. We switched locations and he seemed better...but GAH! How unlucky was that, the thing he's having trouble with and he gets stung while doing it!

*The wasp was dead when I looked at it, and he seems OK...I think it was just barely alive, enough to maybe sting him a little bit. Well, if he tanks tomorrow, I can blame it on the wasp. :D

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Atta boy Simon, not that you've worked out the kink, show your mom what you're made of! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts